As a Level Designer at Ubisoft Sherbrooke, you'll mix gameplay elements and guidelines to design unique places to explore and enticing environments to interact with. You create the blueprint of what players will see and experience within a part of an immersive world.
You are an architect focused on function. Always mindful of how players will react and move within your layout, you shift your perspective to view your designed area from different angles. You consider every possible variation of action and cater to the outcomes, reworking and readjusting your design until you are free of friction in the flow of gameplay.
What you’ll do
- Follow design documentation to create levels aligned with the creative, artistic, and design visions.
- Brainstorm design ideas and present them to interdependent teams (conceptualize and communicate engaging gameplay experiences).
- Participate in prototyping your area (build rough map and greyblock).
- Lay out your environment in detail (place settlements, non-player characters, encounters, events, and other features that advance the game narratively).
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints.
- Collaborate with level artists and animators to breathe life into your created space.
- Cooperate with mission designers to ensure playability and consistency.
- Develop your design based on comments from play testers and cross-functional team members (debug and optimize).
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 3 years of experience in video game level design or related experience (architecture or urban planning an asset)
- Experience using game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) + knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max, Maya, or ZBrush)
- Exceptional collaboration, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- A keen eye for detail
- Curiosity, flexibility, and resourcefulness – you can find creative solutions to problems with no clear answer (just yet)!
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio)
Ubisoft Sherbrooke is set to open its doors in 2022.
In the heart of Sherbrooke, this new studio will be composed of multidisciplinary teams dedicated to developing iconic franchises that engage millions worldwide.
We're looking for passionate creators who want to make exceptional games and deliver memorable experiences to our players. Joining Ubi Sherbrooke means playing a major role in the video game industry. It represents contributing to advancing Ubisoft's tech and shaping the economic and social landscape of the Eastern Townships. These are local efforts with positive, far-reaching impacts!
The world of work is changing. And so are we. Our universal vacation time, hybrid and flexible work, competitive benefits, and host of learning opportunities will allow you to reach your full potential. Here, work-life balance is at the core of our day-to-day.
At the Sherbrooke studio, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with an array of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Our desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve will contribute to the innovation and boundary-pushing that will result in our collective success.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.