Level Design Technical Director
Ubisoft's teams are driven by their desire to enrich the lives of players by original and memorable entertainment experiences. They give life to amazing worlds, real playgrounds where the imagination can express itself freely, giving birth to surprising moments of fun and adventure that also help you as a player to discover yourself and learn.
Founded in 1996, Ubisoft Annecy has developed many sagas, especially on Splinter Cell, Assassin’s Creed®, while focusing on multiplayer online and social aspects, and also on concrete game mandates such as Tom Clancy’s: The Division 2® and Ghost Recon Wildlands. We are now proud to have developed our own IP, Steep!
Located in one of the most dynamic regions of France, our Ubisoft studio is settled between lake and mountains, in the middle of Annecy, also known as the Venice of the Alps, 30 minutes away from Geneva International Airport. Having a studio with perpetual growth, we are focusing on our team members' commitment and team work. Our ambition relies on innovation and excellence with an ultimate purpose: our players' satisfaction!
By joining Ubisoft Annecy, you will have the opportunity to join a community of passionate and collaborative peers, but also to evolve, with pioneering teams in their field, from all around the world. You will progress in a benevolent and inspiring environment in which you push the boundaries of imagination and technology to create the worlds that will enthrall our players.
Do you have talent and experience in the video game industry? Do you want to join a challenging, stimulating, creative and friendly work environment? Join us!
The technical director Level Design (TD LD) will ensure the quality of the technical content produced by his/her working unit. The TD LD will help to define tools, pipelines and best practices that will allow Design Team to create the best gameplay experience, also he/she will be bridging the gap between design and code to build a solid product.
What you will do:
The main and routine tasks of the technical director are to:
- Define and enforce best practices and guidelines with the design team’s technical needs to carry out the creative vision by validating the game features and challenging the interpretation to assess technical feasibility;
- Establish and improve workflows and data structures to standardize work methods and ensure the validity and integrity of the data by drafting pipeline documents, setting up a common classification system, relevant trainings and supervising with the design apartment;
- Serve as the bridge person for the implementation of complex content or feature which stretches the capabilities of existing systems requiring frequent programmer and designer interactions;
- Prototype possible new gameplay features and provide guidance to the design team on how to use the features to articulate the creative visions;
- Review and follow up with works at various stages of implementation to ensure the execution matches the creative visions and quality requirements;
- Drive the optimization and debugging to fix the issues raised in his field of expertise and non-programming problems.
You have at least 6 years of experience in the video game industry, developping AAA games as a Level Designer or Technical Level Designer and one or two years (ideally) as a Associate Technical Director Level Design. You also recohnize yourself in the following skills list :
Skills and Knowledge
- Ideally two AAA game shipped
- Production and pipeline design
- Programming / scripting knwoledge (blueprint or C++)
- Knowledge or procedural design such as Houdini
- Experience in several game engine
- Problem solver
- Able to defend ideas
- good communication skills
- ability to draft technical documents
- Proficiency in English
At Ubisoft Annecy, we are looking for innovative and original minds who want to build the future of the video game industry.
Ubisoft is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
All information will be treated as confidential in accordance with the Employment Equity Act.
Integrating the Ubisoft French studios also means:
- Join passionate and highly technical teams, all driven by the desire to design and develop innovative games and stand out for their quality
- Collaborate with teams recognized for their experience on renowned franchises
- Develop expertise by participating in in-house sharing events (talks, conferences, trade shows) and benefiting from tailor-made training programs
- Evolve in a leading French videogame company represented in 30 different countries, with opportunities for international development.