Lead Game Designer (Creation Next Gen Console)
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery.
At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world.
Located in Da Nang, Vietnam, a hotbed for tech and culture also known as one of the best cities to live in Asia, the newest studio focuses on developing a diverse catalogue of fun-packed casual genre from instant games to Creation HD PC & next Gen Console games - first to be built and shipped from Ubisoft Vietnam.
By bringing the best creative and engineering talents from Vietnam, SEA and the World together, and allowing them to thrive in a dynamic and modern international work and living environment, Ubisoft Da Nang is the place to be to begin your journey in game development or take the big next step in your career.
As the Lead Game Designer, you are fundamental to a game’s development: a member of the core team, the voice of creative vision. You will lead, mobilize and develop a team of game designers towards creating and developing engaging features. You will work closely with the Art Director, Producer and other leads in order to push project quality and ensure that all game design is in line with the project’s creative vision, technical guidelines and standards
- Ownership of player character mechanics, controls and character camera.
- Define all aspect of game design
- Validation of all design scoping estimated
- Produce and keep updated clear documentations leverage by the whole team
- Work with GPP on design integration
- Create a control scheme that is both comfortable and easily mastered
- Participate to the development of tools required to implement and adjust game system
- Implement level layout (coordinate with TA and/or GPP)
- Support, guidance and feedback for the team;
- Manage and help organize the day to day task of the team;
- Regular and meaningful 1-1’s with the team,
- Hiring manager for any future candidates within the team;
- Plan, priorities and set inspiring objectives for the team members. Empower them with clear expectations and hold them accountable for their key results;
- Build and grow/maintain an effective team to ensure it is fully resourced, a manageable size and a good mix of levels ensuring that the team player culture is fostered;
- Work on career growth and succession planning for the team;
- Provide the tea with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development.
Skills and Knowledge
- Key knowledge and understanding in multiple areas of design;
- Excellent knowledge of current design methodologies;
- Strong awareness of market trends;
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant documentation software;
- Be an advocate and ambassador for the team and their features and the sharing of information from them;
- Able to create, manage and track work for a team of game designers and have a strong knowledge of the relevant tools to do so;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate with impact whilst promoting an open dialogue with your team;
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills of your own and the teams time;
- Proactive, self-motivated and comfortable making difficult decisions;
- Be exemplary, attentive, supportive and constructive around taking on or giving feedback.
- Either a Bachelor’s degree in Game Design or relevant training/experience;
- 6 years minimum experience in Game Design or relevant role;
- Significant involvement in either multiple game titles or projects in the game design discipline, preferably a full cycle on a AAA title or equivalent;
- Ideally have had experience of either mentoring or managing people;
- Experience of at least 1 project at a senior level and preferably as a lead/manager.
Why it's great to work at Ubisoft Danang:
- An international, professional, collaborative, modern and creative environment
- Attractive remuneration package
- Creative & endless fun projects
- Flexible working time
- Team building, Lunar New year Celebration, Projects celebration
- Beers and treats every Friday (yay!)
- Staff clubs
- Free in-house entertainment facilities (PS4, Switch, Arcade Machine…), coffee, tea and fresh fruits