Lead Game Designer – Action/Combat [Unannounced Game]
Ubisoft Stockholm is a team of inspiring, innovative and bold people. We are a unique studio and a part of the Ubisoft family; sharing Ubisoft’s mission and philosophy of creating amazing worlds, with a keen eye for detail. As a lead studio within Ubisoft our mission is to build great games in a better way, delighting millions of players around the world. Simple enough, right? If you feel the same, why not join?
We are looking for a Lead Game Designer to work with Action & Combat systems and mechanics for an ambitious unannounced game here in Stockholm Sweden.
This role holds the exciting opportunity to lead the design effort and team working on Combat and other non-combat Action gameplay. You will be responsible for defining, upholding and aligning the vision for your area of responsibility, as well as leading a cross-discipline team to deliver on that vision. You will directly manage a team of Designers who will define the details needed to reach the vision, and the technical implementation of how to get there. Whilst also leading a broader cross-discipline team to bring the vision to life, achieving fun gameplay that players will enjoy for a long time. You will work closely with the Production team to define goals, roadmaps, Plan A’s and Plan B’s to navigate a creative and iterative production process.
We know you're passionate about games, and for us it's important that you get to thrive and succeed in a creative environment. To do this, we are creating strong autonomous teams that make decisions independently and have the freedom to try out new things and show why they work. For us it is important that you get to shine by being creative: to take deliberate decisions, poke holes in things, navigate through known pitfalls when required to and care for your craft by honoring your commitments.
As a Lead Game Designer, you will have daily interactions with your dedicated team of professional crafters to create one-of-a-kind implementations of game systems and mechanics that offer long lasting fun and deeply satisfying mastery. You will be working primarily with player centric features like the overall combat rules & flow, combat mechanics, player roles, and other non-combat action gameplay. During our production phase, you’ll alternate between a resolution of high detail and high level. You will drive the full development cycle of your area and identify how all elements work together and refine them to uncover game experiences that are as immersive as they are fluid for our players.
In this role, you’ll join a team of Lead Game Designers within the Design craft, and report directly to the Game Director. Collaborating within your craft, but also cross-functionally, you'll direct and generate briefs for a team of complementary skills and abilities to deliver design ready to be experienced.
In this role you will...
- Design functionality according to our design direction (set by the Game Director) and creative vision (set by the Creative Director), documenting as required
- Lead a multidisciplinary team through the full development cycle
- Manage, grow and mentor a team of Designers through the production process, imparting design best process and wisdom
- Promote a culture of creative ownership, candid feedback and a safe working environment
- Be the advocate for your team, knowing the strengths and weakness of all members and utilizing that knowledge to bring out the best in them
- Collaborate with transversal teams to integrate required features
- Lead design reviews and guide the team towards good solutions to design problems
- Collaborate closely with Production to plan out the development roadmap, and define goals that push the boundaries of what’s possible whilst ensuring that the team can achieve them
- Develop and iterate on prototypes and evaluate performance
- Account for technical and production constraints
- Identify and manage risk & uncertainty associated with your area
- Along with Production, keep stakeholders aware of plans and results, knowing the right time to ask for feedback
We would love if you...
- Have significant experience as a game designer on AAA action games
- Are a natural leader who understands many aspects of game development and can unite a multidisciplinary team behind a vision
- Are curious while analytical, alert to new developments and trends and know how to best propose changes by adhering to player expectations
- Are not afraid to fail. You know that failure is a part of the process of pushing boundaries and creating new experiences. This does not deter you, and you know how to keep a team motivated in these circumstances.
- Are an excellent, empathetic and compassionate communicator
- Are used to working in an international environment and to express yourself in English.
Making good games takes effort, making great games takes a different type of thinking.
Are you a game designer, artist or engineer? Cool. How about a chemist, economist or social scientist? Let’s talk. At Ubisoft Stockholm, we feel different thinking comes from many places and that good ideas, no matter where they come from, are the key to unlocking our potential.
Located in the storied Östermalm neighborhood in Stockholm Sweden, we believe thinking of new ways to solve old problems is a cornerstone of innovation and we are looking for passionate people who follow their dreams to make the world a better place.
We know there is a better way to making great games.