Junior Legal Counsel - Game Production
Ubisoft is composed of over 20,000 talented people located in 55+ development studios and offices across the globe. With more than 80% of our teams dedicated to creation, Ubisoft is the biggest in-house creative force in the industry.
Home to the North American Ubisoft headquarters since 1996, Ubisoft San Francisco opened its development studio in 2009 and since developed Rocksmith® and Rocksmith 2014, to teach millions of people how to play guitar and bass. With a song library of over 1,500 songs and 9 years of support the Rocksmith franchise helped millions of players around the world on their musical journey. In 2017, the studio released the critically acclaimed South Park™: The Fractured But Whole™, in collaboration with Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and South Park Digital Studios. The studio is currently working on two unannounced projects.
Ubisoft’s worldwide network of video game development studios and business offices work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on iconic brands including Assassin's Creed®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege®, Tom Clancy's The Division®, For Honor®, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more. Ubisoft is a global leader in the video games and entertainment software industry.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching player’s lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore and discover new possibilities.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas are given a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Take entertainment to the next level. Join us and create the unknown.
At Ubisoft’s Legal Department, we’re looking for creative ground-breaking top talent, innovating and disruptive business executive professionals whose area of expertise happens to be legal. Like us, you’re passionate about games, about people, about communication, about having a transformative impact in this fast moving ever evolving legal world. You’re not afraid to experiment, try and try again until you succeed and always positive. You’re mindful, emotionally intelligent, adaptable and a real strategic business partner. Come join us!
Our Legal team is organized in a centralized structure around business priorities with dedicated legal counsels for each area of expertise. Been embedded across the studios enables us to be tactically focused on the specific needs at stake and to provide the exact attention needed to conduct the companies’ business effectively. We are proud of the very strong partnership between the legal team and all Ubisoft’s teams which we strive at perpetuating and enriching every day.
As Junior Legal Counsel based in San Francisco in the Game Production worldwide Legal team, you’re at the heart of what makes Ubisoft so unique: content. Your days will be filled with in-game content problem solving equations, devious questions which answers are never black or white and have multicultural legal implications. Internationally and culturally diverse professionals from around the world who strive at finding the next innovative breakthrough in game development and player experience will become your best friends and look up to you for disruptive and innovative legal advice breaking the boundaries of any current and future regulations. You will help build innovative legal solutions that comply with current regulations and will be responsible for their implementations at the San Francisco studio. You work upstream to identify the best strategy, to assess and manage risks and to provide support in implementing such solutions.
Business partner is your motto. Anticipation, your creed.
What You’ll Do
- Draft, review and negotiate all sorts of commercial agreements in English, for a variety of third-party contractual relationships, including creative services, licensing, talent agreements;
- Provide strategic and practical advice to Ubisoft’s production teams, summarizing and communicating legal concepts that production people can use
- Be the one to call for any in-game-off-the-wall-content question production teams have and provide tips and tricks for the teams to move forward
- Support, accompany and train all creative teams around the globe to give them the best legal reflexes needed to boost their creativity. You will collaborate with other legal counsels around the globe to develop the tools needed for such training
- You’ll always keep an ear out for any shift in a legal landscape and business developments in the video game industry and other disruptive industries which could impact directly or indirectly production subjects
- Ensure conformity with Ubisoft’s business needs, policies and risk tolerance
- Anticipate and support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes
- Streamline the contract management process for game production contracts in connection with the procurement and accounting team.
Who You Are
- Educated: you have a law degree from an accredited US law school in intellectual property.
- Member in good standing of the California Bar.
- Experienced: 1-2 years with a first experience in the industry, with a focus on intellectual property law, and contract law, preferably in-house. You are comfortable working on various contracts in the software, creative or entertainment field; drafting, negotiating and savvy about IP enforcement matters under US State and Federal legislations. Game industry experience is a plus;
- You’re not afraid of project management aspects.
- Experience in an international environment is a plus, as well as interest for French language.
- Emotionally intelligent and curious: you have excellent interpersonal skills with a highly motivated mindset. You have excellent legal and business-friendly judgment and are experienced in building consensus across cross-functional stakeholders. You know how to listen.
- Multicultural: you have experience working on multiple different projects simultaneously in a multilingual environment. You’re best suited to team-work spirit and environment.
- Negotiation: your negotiation motto is win-win. You keep cool whatever the circumstances. Moving in ambiguous and unknown fields does not scare you.
- Last but not least: you’re not risk adverse.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Employer HSA contribution (with enrollment in a HSA eligible medical plan)
- 401k match
- Paid vacation, holiday and wellness time
- Fitness, physical, and eSports challenge reimbursements
- Ginger emotional support app for you and your adult dependents with up to 10 sessions per year of video-based therapy and psychiatry services
- Rocket Lawyer online legal service
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
- Pawternity – paid time off to bond with a newly adopted pet
- Sabbatical leave available after 5 years of employment
- Access to all of the latest Ubisoft games for PC
- Generous discount on new Ubisoft games
Ubisoft is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences, that's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.