Game Designer (Online)
Game Designer (Online), Ubisoft Toronto
Ubisoft Toronto is looking for you, Game Designers.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
On being a Game Designer (Online) at Ubisoft Toronto
As an Online Game Designer at Ubisoft Toronto, you will be responsible for the health of a specific set of online and social systems. You provide players with the tools to build unique gameplay experiences and connect with others.
You go through an iterative, hands-on process of adjusting and improving your design throughout production (and beyond), tackling hurdles in development and stepping back to assess how all the pieces connect and affect each other. With both a player and future-focused mindset, you prepare your features for launch, and then support them once they’re live.
The daily life of a Game Designer (Online) at Ubisoft Toronto
- Design adaptable online + social features aligned with the creative and game directions (e.g. game modes, multiplayer matchmaking, ranking systems, leaderboards, player expression, chat systems, clan systems, etc.).
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate your assigned features.
- Develop in-engine prototypes and evaluate their performance.
- Adapt to technical and production constraints, reworking your design when and as often as needed.
- Participate in finding solutions to fix buggy features.
- Create and maintain design documentation that will guide interdependent teams.
- Engage with the online community and follow up on features post-launch to adapt based on player feedback (improve, add, or remove components).
What it takes to make it
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent
- At least 3 years of experience in video game production or related experience (live/online game development is an asset)
- Experience with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), productivity software (word processors, spreadsheets, etc.), and ranking systems (e.g. TrueSkill)
- An innovative, empathetic, and collaborative spirit
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- Familiarity with online gaming communities and live streaming platforms (e.g. Twitch)
- A solid understanding of the online market and a passion for multiplayer video games – PVPs, MMOs; you play them enough to know what makes quality gameplay!
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our differences helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome applications from all interested candidates. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for people with disability upon request.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.