With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and has just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
As a Game Designer at Ubi Québec, you'll be the creative energy behind a specific set of game systems and mechanics. You provide players with tools to build unique gameplay experiences and opportunities to make meaningful choices.
You go through an iterative, hands-on process of adjusting and balancing your design as you bring it from concept to playability. Throughout production, you shift your focus from the big picture to the micro details; tackling hurdles in development and stepping back to asses how all the pieces connect and affect each other. You tweak and tune until it finally happens: a smooth and engaging player experience emerges.
What you’ll do
- Design features aligned with the creative and game directions (e.g. gameplay rules, progression systems, combat systems, weapon attributes, artificial intelligence behaviours, 3Cs, etc.).
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate your assigned features.
- Develop in-engine prototypes and evaluate their performance.
- Adapt to technical and production constraints, reworking your design when and as often as needed.
- Participate in finding solutions to fix buggy features.
- Create and maintain design documentation that will guide interdependent teams.
- Follow up on features post-launch to improve, add, or remove components (in certain cases).
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- Experience in video game production or related experience
- Experience with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) and productivity software (word processors, spreadsheets, etc.)
- An innovative, empathetic, and collaborative spirit
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills (you’re able to clearly explain your thought process on paper and in person)
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- A solid understanding of the market and a passion for video games – you play enough to know what makes quality gameplay!
- Deep knowledge of Action RPG/Open World AAA games as Immortals Fenyx Rising or Assassin's Creed or any other relevant and recent game.
What to send our way
Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio).
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting-edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey!