Data Scientist – Statistics (User Research Lab)
At Ubisoft Montreal’s User Research Lab, we contribute to creating the best gaming experiences by putting players – their behaviours, motivations, and more – at the centre of the design process.
Working hand in hand with production teams, we deliver in-depth player insights to guide decision-making, combining state-of-the-art qualitative and quantitative analysis through a variety of methodologies and data sources to do so.
Our mandate at the Lab gives us the opportunity to tackle a range of machine learning and data analytics projects, including activity and churn predictions, content recommendation systems, engagement attribution models, and more.
As a Data Scientist, you’ll help production teams develop smarter and more data-informed games by creating novel solutions, automating processes, improving game systems, and generating meaningful insights – to name but a few examples.
You’ll work closely with game creators to identify and help solve their specific challenges: assisting them throughout their development and post-launch journey while proposing data-backed solutions and boosting their awareness of the possibilities data science has to offer.
Above all, you’ll drive our R&D efforts through experimentation and analysis, leveraging large amounts of in-game player data to harness the full potential of data science. That means designing and deploying new models and algorithms; and exploring and applying techniques in statistics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, deep learning – and beyond – to improve user experiences and the quality of our games.
What you’ll do
- Carry out advanced analyses to discover new, valuable insights that support strategy and guide decision-making.
- Create and research new methodologies adapted to the specific nature of video games to expand our scope.
- Contribute to large-scale data science projects, from problem statement to delivery.
- Partner with production teams to understand their needs + uncover opportunities for machine learning implementation or in-depth analyses.
- Translate your findings into visualizations + present results and recommendations.
- Collaborate with other transversal teams with data expertise + be a reference within the User Research Lab, fostering knowledge sharing and promoting best practices.
- Evaluate and improve the accuracy and performance of models and algorithms.
- Participate in creating new processes and optimizing existing ones.
What you bring
- Experience developing inference and prediction models, manipulating data, and using SQL
- In-depth knowledge of statistics to understand, adapt, and develop complex models
- Proficiency in Python or R and their stats and ML libraries
- A solid understanding of mathematics and probabilities
- Effective cross-departmental French and English communication: you can interact with all disciplines + break down complex information for various audiences
- A highly collaborative spirit, with a desire to share your knowledge and help others develop their skills
- Flexibility in the organization of your work, allowing you to adapt to changes and balance a range of tasks
- Motivation to innovate in the video game industry & adapt to its ever-evolving rhythm
Nice to have, but not essential:
- Experience with PySpark
- Practical experience with any one or combination of the following:
- causal inference methods
- attribution models
- Bayesian inference
- time series
- deep learning
- natural language processing
- reinforcement learning
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your background and skills
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Alexis. As he learns more about you through your profile, get to know him through the video below.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.