Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading the development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
As the Character Artist, you will be responsible for modeling the characters required in the production of a game.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The main and routine tasks of the Character Artist are to:
- Produce models according to the Lead’s directives to better understand their limits and deadlines ;
- Understand project limitations, milestones and risks and work accordingly;
- Become familiar with graphic references to understand the artistic director’s intentions;
- Create efficiently and rig friendly low polygon models for the game integration;
- Work with the Character Art team to create photo-realistic, detailed character designs and assets to be used within a game engine;
- Provide proxy models for game integration;
- Model rough characters in 3DS Max, taking into account skeletal proportions to set the basis for character structure;
- Texture using Photoshop to apply and give color to characters and generating normal maps to create texture;
- Address critiques from Lead Artist and Art Director and make revisions in a timely manner;
- Export models and textures into the engine and make sure they work correctly;
- Touch-up textures after engine integration to optimize quality;
- Clean up scanned data;
- Carry out other related tasks.
College diploma in game-oriented 3D modeling or any other equivalent training/ work experience.
- A minimum 2+ years experience in game development modeling and texturing highly realistic characters using 3ds Max and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs);
- Experience in AAA game production.
- Exceptional understanding of human anatomy, and clothing and a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to modeling;
- Ability to collaborate efficiently because of frequent interactions with other teams and team members on the project;
- Attention to detail since the beauty of the characters are key elements of the player’s experience;
- Superior eye for color and detail in creating texture maps;
- Ability to take initiative to learn and adapt to new project practices based on evolving technologies;
- Ability to maintain high quality and productivity throughout the project while meeting the deadlines.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our differences helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all interested candidates. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities upon request.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies, please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.