Technical Level Design Director - [Assassin’s Creed VR] (f/m/d)
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through a strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has development studios in 28 countries and sells video games in more than 55 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to players. In our German studios in Mainz, Düsseldorf and Berlin, we are working on brands like “Anno”, “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege”, "Far Cry", James Cameron's "Avatar", "Beyond Good and Evil 2", “Ubisoft Escape Games", “The Settlers” and many more.
We are creating a brand-new team to work on an unannounced AAA VR project. As Lead Programmer you will work on cutting-edge VR technology, on one of Ubisoft’s great IP’s, developed across multiple studios. Join us today to shape the future of VR!
This position will be located at Ubisoft Düsseldorf (Germany).
The primary role of the Technical Level Design Director is to be the enabling link, a problem solver, who defines how the mission/level design goals can be realistically achieved technically.
- Define technical needs of the Level-design team, as well as solutions, in order to realize creative vision (design and artistic) by concretely validating features of the game and by challenging its interpretation and assess its technical feasibility.
- Define best tools (internal / external) in collaboration with the programming team and the other technical directors of the project in order to improve and facilitate the work of Level-design team. This can be done by prototyping technological elements, requesting the adjustment of existing tools, requesting new tools or validating the effectiveness of the tools provided before deployment on the project.
- Write documentation related to the technical process (pipeline) to establish the vision of the best working methods and data structure (data and assets) in order to standardize the ways of working and thus ensure the validity and data integrity (meets standards and minimizes debugging).
- Train level-design teams in technical methods and processes as needed.
- Provide support and constant supervision to the Level-design team on technical aspects and technical process (pipeline)
- Offer technical support to Level-design team by finding improvements and resolutions to the problems encountered. This is done by working closely with programmers and by training certain members of the Level-design team to become specialists in solving specific tasks and problems.
- Keep abreast of new technical and technological developments in order to apply these developments to the project (if relevant) and share the developments of the project with the peers (technical directors in other projects or other professions).
- Contribute to the planning of the work in collaboration with management, according to the scope of each task and the impact of the Level-design team in order to establish a compromise between the desired quality and the ability to delivery (time, cost, resources, etc.).
- Participate in the choice of external tools (machine, plug-in, E-confluence, etc.) as needed so that the needs of the Level-design team are considered by evaluating the already existing tools, by participating in the design of new tools (if necessary appropriate) and by testing these.
- Contribute to optimization and debugging in order to solve the problems identified by Level-design team.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the video game sector or other relevant experiences;
- Proven track record in working in a Technical Level Design or similar position throughout all game production phases;
- Experience on 2-3 games productions;
- 2 years’ experience as an assistant TD an asset;
- Experience in stakeholder management
- Time and priority management skills;
- Great communication and interpersonal skills;
- Resourcefulness in problem-solving;
- Relocation Support: We offer financial support in form of a cash allowance and assistance with accommodation search and settle-in support via our relocation partner, for international candidates we offer visa assistance.
- 26 days paid vacation per year. Additionally, you will get half a day off on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve and approximately 11 bank holidays in the NRW region.
- Flexible Working Hours: We have core working times between 10:00 AM – 04:00 PM and the distribution of the other hours is up to you.
- Company Pension Scheme. We offer an attractive scheme through salary sacrificing in which the employer also matches contributions
- Up to 350€ childcare support per child per month. In addition, we also offer 5 ‘care for ill children days’ per child per year.
- Discounted Games. We regularly order Ubisoft Games for super cheap prices for our employees.
- Gym Subsidy. We contribute 50% (up to a maximum amount of 25€) towards the monthly cost of a gym membership of your choice.
- Lunch & Breakfast Service. Enjoy fresh discounted meals each day.
- Monthly Mobility Budget. 80€ per month that can be used on bicycle lease, parking spot rental or public transportation ticket.
- Our Ubisoft Blue Byte Academy offers multiple opportunities for you to discover your full potential and develop yourself in various areas.
- English and German classes for free. Main language in the studio is English.
- Free fresh Fruit, Coffee, Tea and Water. Enjoy fresh fruit and beverages in our office.
- Friendly, Open Multi-cultural Work Environment.
The application must include your resume, and a cover letter detailing your earliest starting date, salary expectations and motivation.