(Closed) Senior Level Artist [Beyond Good and Evil 2] (f/m/d)
Beyond Good & Evil 2 is an action-adventure sci-fi RPG and set in the same universe as Ubisoft’s original cult classic. Join the crew at Ubisoft Mainz and help us create the best possible experience for our players.
As Senior Level Artist you will work closely with the Content Director, Level Designer and Lead Artist to maintain artistic consistency and vision for the game while building outstanding levels and scenes. As an environment architect, a visual storyteller, and an experience maker wrapped into one, you assemble and position key elements to deliver impactful visual moments and enhance the player experience. You will represent the gameplay intentions through graphical content of levels and ensure that your work is in line with the technical constraints and artistic direction of the project.
The main and routine functions of the Senior Level Artist are to:
- Understand the game design documents to understand the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style required to create game levels
- Understand the visual references, respect the artistic direction and search for more detailed and specific graphic references for levels
- Understand project tools and their functions, the project file classification system and the process to update engine data and follow all instructions from technical side
- Set out the modelling and texturing needs, submit orders to modellers and texturers responsible for the level; follow up on the progress and quality of the work with the artistic project lead
- Assess level content with the immediate supervisor and establish time and planning estimates by priority and level
- Build the rough map of the level with the level designer to show the preliminary graphic intentions as well as gameplay and ensure they are approved
- Integrate the objects and textures into levels; Create and assemble key elements and determine a lighting intention in the map that is in line with the projects artistic direction
- Act as a point of contact for the artistic team regarding question about the map and levels and inform artists of changes due to technical constraints
- Ensure the technical and artistic quality of the maps once they are imported into the game by making any necessary changes and addressing issues with team members from other working units whenever necessary
- Oversee optimization and debugging to fix the issues raised by testers
What it takes to make it
- College diploma in 3D Art techniques for video games or equivalent training or experience.
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in modelling, texture, lighting and image processing or other relevant experience;
- Excellent compositional skills
- Strong skill ins visual storytelling with an excellent eye for detail
- Knowledge of optimization techniques (e.g. 3D Studio Max, Houdini);
- Basic gameplay and level design knowledge;
- Knowledge of ways to create atmospheres (lighting, artistic composition, etc.).
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to change;
- Sense of initiative;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Originality and resourcefulness in problem solving;
- Good English skills (verbal & written)
- Meeting deadlines
Artists should enclose a portfolio or link to an online portfolio to their application. As part of the recruitment process, the candidates will be asked to perform an art test.
- Relocation Support: We offer financial support in form of a cash allowance and assistance with accommodation search and settle-in support via our relocation partner, for international candidates we offer visa assistance.
- 26 days paid vacation per year. Additionally, you will get half a day off on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve and approximately 11 bank holidays in the Mainz region.
- Flexible Working Hours: We have core working times between 10:00 AM – 04:00 PM and the distribution of the other hours is up to you.
- Opportunities for growth on your desired career path: Leadership training, workshops, guest speakers from the industry, online Ubisoft learning platform, coaches, Experts and library.
- Company Pension Scheme. We offer an attractive scheme through salary sacrificing in which the employer also matches contributions
- Up to 350€ childcare support per child per month. In addition, we also offer 5 ‘care for ill children days’ per child per year.
- Discounted Games. We regularly order Ubisoft Games for super cheap prices for our employees.
- Gym Subsidy. We contribute 50% (up to a maximum amount of 25€) towards the monthly cost of a gym membership of your choice.
- Monthly Mobility Budget. 80€ per month that can be used on bicycle lease, parking spot rental or public transportation ticket.
- Our Ubisoft Blue Byte Academy offers multiple opportunities for you to discover your full potential and develop yourself in various areas.
- English and German classes for free. Main language in the studio is English.
- Free fresh Fruit, Coffee, Tea and Water. Enjoy fresh fruit and beverages in our office.
We offer a highly motivating challenge for team players interested in showing personal initiative in an innovative and international company. If you are passionate about video games and would like to join an industry leader - please apply via our career portal. The application should include your resume, your portfolio, a cover letter including your earliest starting date, expected salary and why you would like to join us.
About Ubisoft Mainz
The teams at Ubisoft Mainz are engineering some of Ubisoft’s biggest blockbusters. Operating from a historic city in the heart of Germany, the studio develops games pushing the limits of the genre like the acclaimed Anno 1800 and lends decades of expertise to AAA co-development projects like Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege and the upcoming Beyond Good And Evil 2.