Lead Animator [Avatar Project] (f/m/d)
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through a strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has development studios in 28 countries and sells video games in more than 55 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to players. In our German studios in Mainz, Düsseldorf and Berlin, we are working on brands like "Anno", "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege", "Far Cry", James Cameron's "Avatar", "Beyond Good and Evil 2", "Ubisoft Escape Games", "The Settlers" and many more.
We are collaborating with Massive Entertainment on the Avatar project, building an immersive, deep, and tangible world based on James Cameron's Avatar.
The Lead Animator is responsible for leading and managing the Animation and Technical Animation teams in our project, setting objectives for both short and long term, driving quality standards and collaborating with Directors to deliver AAA game experiences.
- Collaborate with the Art Director, Technical Art Director and Animation Director to create animations that fit to the visual style of the project and set a new benchmark on animation quality for the team.
- Define, prioritize, assign and regularly follow up on tasks and the advancement of the team's work with regards to deliverables together with production.
- Provide support and feedback for internal animation team and the technical animators.
- Establish animation standards and provide feedback for animation outsourcing.
- Collaborate with Tech Artists to improve existing and prototype future animation pipelines.
- Collaborate with design teams and programming teams to develop gameplay features.
- Quickly prototype animation systems that will serve as a basis for animation and gameplay-related discussions
- Be the main point of contact for other teams and represent the team
- Provide knowledge and solutions for animation problems
- Cooperation with other Ubisoft teams all around the world on a daily basis
- Provide support and advice for artists
- Ensure that the work of the team follows the quality standards, artistic direction and set deadlines.
- Actively participate in project management decisions and supervise the necessary adjustments so that the animation team is able to reach their goals.
- Develop and manage successful teams:
- Coach and share best practices with the animation team
- Recruit and identify talents
- Manage performance: define objectives, give constructive feedback
- Empower and develop his teams with a long-term perspective
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- A minimum of 7 years' experience as an Animator or Technical Animator in game development with a strong understanding of rigging, skinning, keyframe animation, motion capturing and procedural animation.
- At least 2 years of experience in a leadership role.
- Proven experience on at least one shipped title
- Excellent knowledge of Maya, Motion Builder, 3DSMAX, and/or other commercial 3D authoring packages.
- A keen eye for motion, weight, timing and animation.
- Being able to work with a complex animation system and complex animation state machines
- Able to keep content within the current project's art style and work within those limitations.
- Understand workflows and tools in animation production with the ability to modify and improve them.
- Be forward thinking and anticipate the needs of your project.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- Great communication skills and a positive attitude
- Fluent in English, both verbally and written
- Experience with Motion editing and handling Mocap Data in Motion Builder is a plus
- Experience as modeler and/or texture artist a plus
- Ability to create custom tools and scripts to increase the productivity is a plus.
- Rigging experience is a plus
- Being an avid gamer is a plus
It is required that you submit a portfolio of your work with your application. You may do so by providing a link to an online portfolio (preferred) or attaching documents to your resume.
All portfolios must contain a detailed shot breakdown of the work. It must be very clear what you, the applicant, are responsible for in your reel, portfolio, screenshots etc.
The portfolio should contain the following:
- Examples of character animation (full body motion, emotions etc.)
- Examples of animation style variety
- Examples of environment animation or visual effects
- Examples of animation rigs and their functionality in a 3D package