Art Director Visual Design - Helix
As an Art Director Visual Design at Ubi MTL, you will join a new team specializing in the production of cutscenes for our games developed in our Canadian studios, games recognized for their quality such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch_Dogs, Rainbow Six, For Honor, and many more.
In this role, you are responsible for the quality and content of graphic and audiovisual productions. You must ensure that the elements produced are aligned with the game's vision and propose creative and innovative ideas and concepts.
Working closely with the artists and designers on the production team, you will help them push concepts further, produce consistent work and enhance the player's experience through compelling visuals.
What you'll do
- Propose graphic or audiovisual concepts based on the client's brief in the form of a synopsis, mood board or sketch;
- Define the artistic style of the graphic or audiovisual mandate inspired from the game's artistic direction (reference films, competing games and design documents);
- Ensure that the artistic vision is communicated through the visual identity;
- Create lit and original concepts that support the game's positioning with the various project teams;
- Communicate expectations to the production team assigned to the mandate and ensure the quality and content of the ambiances, sets, characters, narration, etc. using visual references and documents that describe the artistic direction;
- Follow up and validate the team's finished work so the elements produced are in line with the initial brief and the game's vision, and ensure that the quality is respected;
- Work directly with the project director and artists;
- Produce documents such as GAP (Game Artistic Personality), brief, guide style;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
What you bring
- Approximately 10 years of experience in UI, visual design, branding or art direction (in the video game industry a big plus) or other relevant experience
- A degree in graphic design, communications, multimedia, or equivalent
- An understanding of the fundamentals of art and art culture
- Thorough knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max)
- The ability to provide constructive feedback and convey artistic direction and make it a shared goal
- A creative, collaborative and innovative spirit
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Open-minded attitude: receptive to new ideas and perspectives
- Effective cross-departmental communication: you have the know-how to communicate with technical and creative teams
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and get the job done!
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.