With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and they have just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
As an Art Director at Ubi Qc, you will be at the helm of the creation of a rich, captivating, meaningful world players will immerse themselves in. You are fundamental to a game’s development: a member of the core team, the connection between the creative vision and the artists, the voice of the art team, and a brand ambassador.
You are a visionary who motivates, inspires, and supports an artistic team to transform concept to reality. As an empathetic and charismatic leader, you not only provide your team with guidance but you let their encouraged ideas shape the artistic direction you set. You have the talent and known expertise to jump in and help produce visual content that is aligned with the creative vision and is, of course, AAA+ quality.
Thanks to your exceptional presentation skills, you can communicate your artistic vision to the brand management team to share with the public. You provide the visual guidelines for promotional material, ensuring consistency and bringing the in-game world to life.
What you’ll do
- Work with the producer and core creative team to define the vision of a game.
- Partner with lead artists to develop the artistic tone (set the ambiance, explore locations, key moments, emotional contrasts, characters, etc.).
- Create the visual style guide of a game (put together mood boards, references, and descriptions).
- Coordinate and oversee the art team throughout production.
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints.
- Provide leadership and constructive feedback to achieve quality.
- Collaborate with members of interdependent teams and studios in all stages of development.
- Participate in recruitment to build and grow the artistic team.
- Mentor the employees under their responsibility.
- Meet with employees under their responsibility regularly to give them feedback and help them progress.
- Write the annual report and the end-of-project report of the employees under their responsability and help them identify their growth path.
- Develop a culture of sharing and push for continuous improvement within its trade community.
- Address conflict situations and behavioral issues by seeking support from the HR team or the team's production manager as needed.
- Help create a healthy, inclusive and positive work environment and escalate issues that could affect employees or the project as needed.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Fine Arts or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset).
- At least 5 years of leadership experience in the video game industry or other relevant experience.
- A solid understanding of all phases of video game production.
- Knowledge of Photoshop and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max).
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Understanding of art fundamentals and artistic culture.
- Creativity and resourcefulness.
- Effective time management, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it.
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done!
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills.
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio).
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey!