Animation Technical Director
About Ubisoft & Shanghai Studio:
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Created in 1996, Ubisoft Shanghai studio, is a vibrant and exciting place where our 600+ talents get opportunities to either co-develop great AAA blockbuster games, create cutting-edge online games or produce fun mobile games.
The Animation Technical Director is the one to ensure the quality of the technical contents produced by his working unit. The incumbent must optimize his team productivity through the pipeline processes, meanwhile, considering the online users’ needs. This Director will also have to carry out his tasks adequately by determining the project needs, implementing the effective tools and methods to maximize the data integration into the game engine, and providing all technical supports.
What You Will Do
- Create tools, scripts and shaders that enhance production workflow and the art pipeline.
- Work collaboratively with the artists and engineers, understand the requirements and needs of the efficient workflows for production, and stay within the engine budgets.
- Work closely with the Art Director for the matching visual style of the game.
- Animate and create Motion Editing within a complex animation system.
- Provide knowledge and solutions for complex rigging, animation and shading pipeline problems.
- Define technical needs; carry out the design & artistic creative visions by validating the game features, challenging the interpretation and assessing the technical feasibilities.
- Acquire the best internal and external tools. Work with the programmers and project Technical Directors to enhance and facilitate the work by prototyping technological elements, adjusting existing tools, requesting new tools, validating the effectiveness of the tools provided with before they are deployed on the project.
- Standardize the best work methods and data structure (data and assets), ensure the validity and integrity of the data (meet standards and minimize debugging) by drafting pipeline documents, setting out common classification system, trainings, coaching and supervising processes users.
- Remain informed of new technical and technological developments and able to apply them on the project when needed.
- Able to balance the compromise between quality objectives and delivery constraints (time, costs, resources, etc.).
- Contribute to the selection of external tools (engine, plug-in, E-confluence, etc.), assess the existing tools, helping design and test new tools.
What You Should Be Equipped With
- 5 years of relevant working experience in video game animation.
- Motion Builder working experience is a MUST.
- Able to work with the complex animation systems and state machines.
- Solid personal portfolio, good artistic sense in animation. Self-motivated.
- Team player, user focused. Good communication skills, functional English proficiency.
- Experienced in the entire game production circle, a problem solver.
- Extensive scripting knowledge with Python, Mel and/or Max script.
- Working knowledge of 3DSMAX, Maya, and/or other commercial 3D authoring packages.
- Able to keep contents and assets within the current projects art style and work within those limitations.
- A keen eye for motion and animation, capability for stress and changes.
Why Ubisoft Shanghai?
Be a part of the most exciting and innovating video game company in China. Come to work in Shanghai, an amazing city renowned as “Paris of the East”.
Together with a team of multi-national professionals equipped with the cutting-edge technologies, you can be assured of an experience that is both aspirational and fulfilling.
By working in Shanghai studio, you will also be offered with an array of career development opportunities, an abundant training resources, and moreover, a stimulating and creative work environment.
If you’re looking for this kind of job opportunity, you’ll find it here at Ubisoft Shanghai.
Join us for an exciting adventure and make great games!