Animation Programmer (Technology Group)
At the Technology Group (TG), we provide tools, middleware, and services adapted to the needs of Ubisoft game production teams. Be it front-end or back-end solutions, tools, or expertise, we support our productions throughout their life cycle. Through collaboration and innovation, we contribute to boosting the efficiency of pipelines and the development of products to deliver quality games to millions of players worldwide. Exploring ideas, experimenting with new technologies, and implementing stable ones are part of our daily life.
As an Animation Programmer on the TG team, you’ll help equip the studio’s animation community with the technology they need to bring credible characters to life in our games.
You’ll lend your expertise to a specific TG animation product: a solution to optimize the creation of high-end characters, improve collaboration and productivity, or evolve the character rigging pipeline – to name a few examples. No matter the product, you’ll push its functionality further, impacting our ability to build increasingly believable, immersive worlds.
What you’ll do
- Design and implement cutting-edge facial or character animation tools used by programmers, animators, and riggers across the studio.
- Develop DCC plugins for Maya, MotionBuilder, 3DS Max, Blender, etc.
- Collaborate closely with the animation community to tailor systems and features to their reality.
- Investigate and resolve bugs flagged by users, fellow developers, or the quality control team.
- Stay on the lookout for opportunities to improve our products and workflows.
- Write and maintain clear documentation to guide users in understanding the features and systems at their disposal.
What you bring
- At least 4 years of programming experience with a focus on character animation (or other relevant experience)
- A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Mathematics (or related training)
- Proficiency in C++ and an understanding of C#
- Knowledge of rigging, IK/FK systems, and DCC SDKs
- Solid 3D math skills
- Experience with multi-threaded programming and software design patterns + the ability to design maintainable, extendable, and well-optimized code
- A collaborative and innovative spirit + communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities and requirements
- An R&D mindset that drives you to research and experiment with new ideas, solutions, and algorithms
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Karin. As she learns more about you through your profile, get to know her through the video below.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.