(Closed) Senior Applied Scientist - Ad Products
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn , Twitter and on our Blog .
About The Role
Twitch enables content creators to live-stream content to their communities across the globe. Advertising is a core part of Twitch's business model, and spans across almost all product areas. We take pride in our mission to help creators build communities and earn a living entertaining them. We monetize the billions of hours watched on Twitch channels by allocating the right ad, at the right moment, of the right format and experience, to the right audience. To enable the discovery of their content, we build native content-promotional marketplaces that match the best audience with their content.
As a Senior Applied Scientist on the Marketplace Utilization team, you'll lead a new, multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to solve the hardest science problems revolving around allocation and pricing: maximize the use of our supply by making the best choices for when to run ad breaks, which format to pick, where to place them, and how to price them (for native marketplaces) in a way that equitably balances the objectives of creators, viewers, advertisers, and Twitch. This process will rely on supervised learning (predicting viewer responses), reinforcement learning (making iterative improvements to utilization based on user feedback), causal modeling (estimating long term viewer and platform impact of ads), and advanced optimization techniques (constraint and multi-objective optimization). You'll implement techniques, invent new approaches and publish novel scientific findings, while delivering impact to millions of creators and viewers. Come join us!
- Establish a long-term science vision for our ad marketplace, motivated by the needs of our customers, translating that direction into specific plans for applied scientists, data scientists, and engineering and product teams.
- Run the design, implementation, operation, and optimization of the utility function that underpins the entire advertising product-suite at Twitch
- Design, prototype and implement Machine Learning (ML) algorithms
- Develop the production data pipelines and ML pipelines on which those algorithms operate
- Work with investigators, analysts, PMs and SDEs to turn ever-evolving insights about our users into automated services.
- Mentor junior scientists and engineers
- PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree with 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
- 4+ years of hands-on applied experience in predictive modeling and analysis, and in building/operating large-scale machine learning / deep learning models in production
- Experience developing algorithms on top of data pipelines that scale
- Experience writing production quality code (Python, Go, Java) on top of a production software toolkit (AWS)
- Experience in advertising or multi-sided marketplaces
- 2+ years of experience in software engineering at a large tech company.
- Prior technical leadership experience and/or aspirations
- You can teach us something new!
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k) , Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.