Network Development Engineer
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on Linkedin, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Position
The Network Quality of Service (QoS) team is a team that monitors, troubleshoots, and finds solutions to instances of poor video quality. You will use home-grown tooling to aggregate, query, and visualize video quality metrics as reported by client video players. Through your knowledge of internet routing, BGP routing policy, and our proprietary video distribution system, you will work with other internal teams and external ISP partners to pinpoint, and route traffic around, problematic areas of the internet with the goal of improving video quality to our customers.
With over 70 points of presence (PoPs) globally, you will work on a wide range of network infrastructure and learn about interconnection policies and practices in regions around the world. This is a small team, so you can expect to make a big difference by improving video quality of service for broadcasters and viewers alike.
As video traffic and service usage grows, the network and server infrastructure must scale to support that growth. You will play a role in supporting that scaling, and be involved in the implementation of network and video system features and automation to support our high-traffic multi-tenant environment. If the idea of operating on a large-scale network with a high volume of traffic interests you, this could be the role for you!
- Track video quality on a per-network basis and engage engineers from other ISPs and internal teams to troubleshoot and diagnose video quality problems
- Propose and implement BGP route policy changes to modify traffic flow in/out of the Twitch/Amazon IVS network
- Work on a global backbone, including operational support and capacity planning
- Collaborate with engineering teams on design proposals, projects, automation, incident response, and troubleshooting of the video distribution system
- Create network diagrams, technical specifications, and standard operating procedures
- Write detailed documentation of troubleshooting methodologies and investigation analysis
- Work problems to completion with various vendor and partner ISP technical support centers
- Participate in on-call rotation
- 1+ year experience configuring, operating and troubleshooting protocols such as BGP, OSPF, BFD
- 1+ year experience with common protocols and concepts like TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, IPv6, Anycast routing
- 1+ year of hands-on experience with global internet routing, peering/transit relationships, traffic engineering, troubleshooting
- 1+ year experience with planning, documenting, testing, and production rollout of new network configuration or changes
- 1+ year proven ability to work with minimal supervision on short, medium, or long term projects
- 1+ year collaborating with and mentoring other engineers
- Experience with Cisco IOS-XR, Arista EOS
- Comfortable working in a globally distributed organization across time zones
- Willing to constantly raise the bar of engineering and operational practices across the organization
- Excellent and professional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of various AWS services such as EC2, S3, Cloudfront, VPCs, Direct Connect
- Able to work comfortably in a linux environment
- Experience with WDM optical systems
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.