Turn 10 Studios, creators of the hit Forza Motorsport franchise, and a division of Xbox Game Studios, is looking for an experienced Licensing Specialist to drive and close deals in the studio’s licensing portfolio, and to drive other assigned licensing projects & deal negotiations.
We’re looking for a seasoned individual with a combination of skills and experience across the multiple areas of responsibility for this exciting role. Those areas of responsibility include closing licensing deals for IP assets related to game titles and other Forza franchise projects & products as well as project management on internal licensing projects. The successful candidate will have a critical mass of experience and skills in these areas.
Accountabilities for the successful candidate will include coordination across multiple individuals and/or team disciplines such as content, design, marketing, business development, legal, finance and studio management as well as external partners & licensors. You’ll work with key external licensors to ensure their intellectual property is accurately represented in Forza games. Success for this role includes a disciplined and predictable approach to licensing execution that supports the timely launch of Forza titles, products and services and the incumbent schedules and dependencies.
- Gather new game features and IP wish list from content and design teams
- Assess and communicate risk of license-ability of IP
- Drive negotiation and execution of licensing agreements in a timely manner to support launch of Turn 10 products
- Drive licensing relationships with key OEMs
- Assess legal and financial agreement terms from a licensing standpoint
- Manage internal compliance of contractual terms and requirements
- Collaboration with Turn 10 individual project leads to ensure alignment
- Collaboration with other internal Microsoft teams, including Finance Operations, Accounts Payable, etc.
- Compile licensing program timelines, calendars, and bi-weekly reports to keep the team updated on contract status and varying phases of execution of programs and projects
- Facilitate collaborative and effective communication between team members across the studio
- Develop process efficiencies & documentation
- Identify risks and drive the team towards successful resolution before risks turn to roadblocks
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience, either in Consumer, Gaming or Automotive industry
- 3 years’ experience with license, franchise and/or royalty agreements and licensed content
- Familiarity or a certain level of experience with the practice or methodology of scrum
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a highly matrixed environment with production teams to make the right product decisions, minimizing costs while delivering quality products on-time and on-budget
- Ability to plan, create and maintain a highly effective production schedule sufficient to manage multiple agreement negotiations taking place simultaneously on different timelines
- Experience using, developing or evolving tools to track and manage deals; CRM experience would be ideal
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance while being a team player
- Experience influencing positive outcomes without direct authority
- Expert project management and time management skills, including excellent attention to detail
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, and be a master at conflict resolution
- Passion and energy
- Preference for candidates who have experience working, internationally, whether in-person or by phone or email on US-based programs. This will include being available outside of normal work hours to accommodate international partners, and sensitivity around cultural differences
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.