(Closed) Weapon Technical Artist
Founded in 1996, Treyarch is an award-winning videogame studio, driven to create awesome games for the world to enjoy. It is an approach that has helped make the studio behind the Black Ops series an industry-leading developer. Call of Duty®: Black Ops, Call of Duty®: Black Ops II, Call of Duty®: Black Ops III and the studio’s most recent release, Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4, have all gone on to break industry records. Additionally, Treyarch is the birthplace of fan favorite, Call of Duty’s Zombies.
Working at Treyarch means having the opportunity to work on some of the biggest videogames in the industry, all within a culture that values individual talent and the teams that bring games to life. We provide our teams with the cutting-edge development tools needed to make their most ambitious plans a reality, allowing for rapid iteration and the ability to create the kinds of memorable gameplay moments that are ultimately shared by millions of fans around the world. We also embrace challenges, knowing that together, we can overcome anything…and hopefully inspire a few new game developers along the way.
Treyarch is wholly owned by Activision.
Treyarch is looking for a Weapon Technical Artist to help rig, skin, and implement our Weapons, Equipment and Vehicles for our current and future projects. Our focus will be to create true to life complex mechanical systems that deliver the nuance and believability. You’ll be working hand in hand with multiple departments across the studio to help us deliver a best in class gaming experience. Our perfect candidate will demonstrate a balance of understanding excellent art execution and great technical execution. This candidate also needs to be a great team player – never putting oneself over the project needs, and the team.
What you’ll be doing:
- Managing and maintaining asset integration, files, pipelines, and processes on large, multi-studio projects.
- Oversee the implementation of procedural/constraint driven animation systems for first and third person weapons, including dynamic secondary movement systems.
- Contribute toward new techniques and process efficiency improvements for general weapon content development.
- Rigging, skinning, and asset setup, ranging from Weapons and complex equipment to Vehicles, for our current and future projects.
- Collaborate closely with modelers, animators, FX, and engineering - ensuring content meets the technical needs for rigging, skinning, and implementation for the game.
- Evaluate and troubleshoot assets, look for bugs, and additional polish opportunities to ensure high quality.
- Understand the role that bones play in the game, and which ones are used for gameplay and which are for animation; ensuring assets are rigged with these in mind.
- Mentor and guide other artists and coordinators to help improve integration processes and streamline workflows.
- Use your wealth of experience as a creative artist and technical precision skills and balance both, never sacrificing one for the other.
- At least three years working in production for games development, or 2 shipped titles or both.
- Ability to assess the content scope and ensure the successful delivery of content on tight deadlines.
- Expert knowledge and production experience using Maya.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of weapon and mechanical functionality as well as hard surface mechanical shapes.
- Strong communication, presentation, and follow-up skills.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills regarding creative, technical, and production issues, while keeping a professional, calm, and composed demeanor.
- Knowledge of Python (Maya commands and API), using these to develop tools and scripts to improve efficiencies. .
- Self-starter and proactive.
- Experience working in various game engines and run time packages.
- Ability to fix or modify modeling issues, including LOD’s and UV’s.
- Working knowledge of Motion Builder.
- C++ experience.
- Experience using Qt, PySide, and/or PyQt.
Candidates will need to submit any combination of the following:
- Demo Reel with Reel Breakdown
The candidate might be asked to complete an offsite test.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Treyarch is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.