Temporary Associate Character Technical Artist
Founded in 1996, Treyarch is an award-winning videogame studio, driven to create awesome games for the world to enjoy. It is an approach that has helped make the studio behind the Black Ops series an industry-leading developer. Call of Duty®: Black Ops, Call of Duty®: Black Ops II, Call of Duty®: Black Ops III and the studio’s most recent release, Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4, have all gone on to break industry records. Additionally, Treyarch is the birthplace of fan favorite, Call of Duty’s Zombies.
Working at Treyarch means having the opportunity to work on some of the biggest videogames in the industry, all within a culture that values individual talent and the teams that bring games to life. We provide our teams with the cutting-edge development tools needed to make their most ambitious plans a reality, allowing for rapid iteration and the ability to create the kinds of memorable gameplay moments that are ultimately shared by millions of fans around the world. We also embrace challenges, knowing that together, we can overcome anything…and hopefully inspire a few new game developers along the way.
Treyarch is looking for a temporary Associate Character Technical Artist to help rig, skin, and implement our characters, creatures, weapons, and vehicles for or our current and future projects. Our focus will be to create stunning, realistic and memorable characters and props that work seamlessly in fast action-60 frames per second game play and non-pre-rendered, real time cinematics - pushing the boundaries of game play, art, storytelling, and technology. Our perfect candidate will demonstrate a balance of understanding great art execution and great technical execution, while keeping efficient performance for games in mind. This candidate also needs to be a great team player – never putting oneself over the project needs, and the team.
What you'll be doing:
- Skinning and asset setup ranging from Characters, Creatures, and complex Weapons and Vehicles, for our current projects.
- Managing and maintaining asset integration, files, pipelines and processes.
- Evaluate and troubleshoot assets, look for bugs, and additional polish opportunities to ensure high quality.
- Understand the role that bones play in the game, and which ones are used for gameplay and which are for animation; ensuring assets are rigged with these in mind.
- Contribute toward new techniques and process efficiency improvements for general character content development.
- Use your wealth of experience as a creative artist and technical precision skills and balance both. Never sacrificing one for the other.
- At least 1 year working in production for games development, or 1 shipped titles, or both.
- Ability to assess content scope and ensure successful delivery of content on tight deadlines.
- Strong knowledge and production experience of rigging and skinning using Maya.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of facial and figure anatomy, as well as hard surface mechanical shapes.
- Strong communication, presentation, and follow-up skills.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills regarding creative, technical, and production issues, while keeping a professional, calm, and composed demeanor.
- Self-starter and proactive.
- “Fire and Forget”. Self-sufficient and able to debug and problem solve with limited ramp up time.
- Knowledge of Python (Maya commands and API), using these to develop tools and scripts to improve efficiencies.
- Experience working in various game engines and run time packages.
- Ability to fix or modify modeling issues, including LOD’s and UV’s.
- Knowledge of Motion Builder.
- C++ experience.
- Experience using Qt, PySide, and/or PyQt.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Treyarch is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.