Who are Timbre Games?
Timbre Games are a Vancouver based early-stage game development studio with over 100 years of founding leadership. We believe culture drives creative, where we draw on community and diversity to build truly unique experiences.
Our mission is to build a world class network of Game Studios; to provide accessible awesomeness to our players, to our team, to the world.
Everyone has a story. Come write yours!
Who you are:
As a human, you’re a visionary explorer, a pursuer of fun, and focused on building community. You see an opportunity within games to do more and to have more than “just a job”. You’ve had unique experiences both at work and personally that have expanded your curiosities to seek the root of a problem, to seek out issues, and work with people to explore solutions! Your experiences have made you who you are, and that has led to you understanding the importance of diversity in both thinking and in people. Oh, and games… You may like those, too!
Who you are at work:
You lead with humility in all that you do. Your approach to Design is analytical and you enjoy the technical elements working within Unreal. You are a Systems Designer who cares deeply about games as an art form, and approaches design from a player’s mindset; your fulfilment is to hook players emotionally from the moment they pick up the game. At Timbre our focus is on making core experiences accessible, and on making players feel awesome as they experience our games. We want you to align with those values and add your flavour to our design and studio culture.
At Timbre, we take mentoring seriously, and as one of the core early production team, we want you to as well. We are here to make amazing games and grow the next generation of game industry people – two goals that are at the heart of who we are.
What impact will you have as a Systems Designer at Timbre:
- Partner with our Creative Director & Lead Designer to define system design initiatives and features for our first game!
- You will OWN a variety of systems and we trust you to take them from concept through to delivery. Examples may include enemy behaviour and character progression
- Prototype your ideas, tweak the numbers and curves that run under the game
- Define the design requirements and priorities and collaborate with production to ensure we’re delivering on high level plans and schedule
- Create and maintain system design documentation for current and future Timbreoos!
- Communicate your passion to our diverse team, ensuring we iterate effectively on our designs to deliver a fun, accessible end product for our players
- Be a part of growing the future of Design and our team
Your track record might include:
- 3+ years' experience working in the games industry as a Designer
- 3D Game Engine experience. Extra points if you’ve taken a project from pre-production through to launch
- Previous experience scripting
- Excel’s your bread and butter and you’ve built systems where it all comes together in-game
- Ability to listen to design problems, take a step back and take action toward creating a more memorable gaming experience
- Proven adaptability – whether that’s quickly prototyping or taking user feedback to impact your design
- Low-level design craft that balance immediate accessibility, depth and fun
- Analytical, creative and a keen eye for the finer details
About Timbre Games:
Timbre Games are headed up by industry veterans in beautiful Vancouver, BC. Our experience stretches through mobile to AAA (think Gears of War, the Sims, SSX, FIFA, Age of Empires, among others!). We’re excited to build a ‘playoff ready’ studio that is centered on creativity, humour and diversity. We can’t wait to share our first project that we’re secretly working away on, and we welcome your application with open arms as we grow a world-class studio here in Canada!
- Competitive salary & benefits
- Annual bonus & RRSP matching
- 20 days paid vacation, plus Christmas week off
- Remote / Work from home / Flexible hours
- Open door policy with direct access to leadership
- Industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge to share
Timbre Game’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre recognizes the importance of creating an environment where all our employees feel included and empowered. We believe that culture drives creative, we value each employee’s unique experiences and perspectives across our company and recognize that it is both the smart and right thing to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization.
By diversifying our workforce, increasing equality, and ensuring that our individual differences are valued, we are better able to deliver an experience that reflects, inspires, and connects with our audience... because games are for everyone!
DO I NEED TO MEET ALL CRITERIA TO APPLY?
Definitely not! If you share our mission of creating games that are accessible for everyone, we’d love to meet you and see what is possible!
If you believe you are who we’re looking for, contact us.
Please upload a link to your portfolio/github for us to review if applicable!