(Closed) DevOps Engineer
theScore’s mission is to create highly-engaging digital products and content that empower the sports fan’s experience. Its flagship mobile app ‘theScore’ is one of the most popular multi-sport news and data apps in North America, serving millions of fans a month. The Company also creates innovative digital sports experiences through its web, social and esports platforms.
We’re looking for a motivated and resourceful engineer to help build, manage and optimize consumer applications on smart-phones and other emerging platforms. Our DevOps team oversees server and application deployment and manages our server clusters in the AWS cloud. You will work directly with other development team members to provide highly available and high performing services. The challenges are exciting and varied. The qualified candidate will work with an agile team of software engineers and must thrive in a high-energy environment with complex multi-disciplinary projects. The mantra for this role will be automation with a focus on site reliability and performance.
Typical Work Day at theScore:
- Your time will be split between responding to internal report requests and project based work that is self-generated.
- Internal Support request: you will be responsible for making configuration changes for our code repository, adding in users, troubleshooting, assistance in refining database queries, and other duties that are requested from you when needed.
- Project work: You will build out the infrastructure automation, make software upgrades, conduct general infrastructure improvements, and other project based work.
- You will be required to be on call once every 3 weeks to support the team in a variety of capacities as needed.
- Other duties as required.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, and/or similar expereince.
- Experience in a similar role or heavy systems support role.
- Experience working with Containerization (Docker & Kubernetes preferred)
- Automation: experience with configuration management and infrastructure as code tools is a must. Terraform (preferred), Ansible, CloudFormation, etc.
- Experience with a programming language (Bash & Python preferred).
- Extensive experience in Linux.
- Experience working with AWS and/or other cloud services.
- A combination of a developer and systems administration background would be ideal.
- Ability to work independently and learn quickly with little supervision.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Willingness to drop everything and take on an ad-hoc task.
- You’re the type of individual who is extremely tech savvy and passionate about learning new technologies and tools.
- Nice to have: Postgres, MySQL, Elastic Search, Kafka, Redis and any web programming.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary with Employee Share Purchase Plan.
- Comprehensive Benefits package.
- Fun, relaxed work environment.
- Education and conference reimbursements.
- Located downtown Toronto; easily accessible by public transit.
- A/V club, Friday presentations, book library, and more.
- Snacks and drinks provided.
- Awesome patio with BBQ.
- Top of the line office hardware.
- Parental leave top up.
- Opportunity for career progression and mentoring others.
- Games room (bring your A game for our FIFA 19, arcade, ping pong and foosball tournaments!)
We are an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be made upon request.