Communications Strategist (Esports)
PLEASE NOTE: We will only process applications that include a cover letter and are sent to the attached email.
Looking for your next gig in esports PR, and you are London-based? You’ve come to the right place.
The Story Mob is the world’s leading international communications consultancy focused on gaming culture, competitive esports and digital entertainment. We work with brands, teams and publishers to shape meaningful communications and engage in authentic conversations with gaming fans. This is the most exciting and fastest growing culture in the world - and communications are helping mold the future of it.
We’re headquartered in LA but have just opened a European Office in London and have teams and clients that span the globe. We are looking to fill this position with someone based in London with the skills to support our ambitious growth plans by creating compelling content for a range of owned and earned digital channels.
We’re a hungry and ambitious company, where each team member wears a lot of hats and the ceiling for growth is sky-high. Our culture is open-minded, fast and flexible where great ideas are celebrated and you’re free to execute them and learn new skills.
If you’re based in London and passionate about gaming this could be a great opportunity to join the world’s first group of gaming-focused communication leaders.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Media liaison and outreach
- Working across a cross-section of existing clients (teams, brands and organizers) to craft and share compelling stories through endemic and non endemic media
- Working directly with clients on upcoming announcements, evergreen stories and trend pieces that help them reach their storytelling goals
- Becoming a resident expert on the kind of stories, angles and assets that will help media in the space
- Tell well-researched and authentic stories about our esports universe
- Prepping and coaching spokespeople before media opportunities (and giving honest feedback afterwards!)
Creative brainstorming and storytelling
- Working with clients to offer timely, effective counsel on storytelling through owned and earned channels
- Helping to create long-term strategies for how teams and brands can work towards bigger communication goals - and how each piece fits into that plan
- Working with leaders in the esports space on their executive positioning and thought leadership strategies
- Strategic communication planning
- Working with clients to develop communication plans that help them meet their business and communications objectives - whether it’s brand awareness or fan loyalty
- Advising clients on communication best practices
- Working alongside the co-founders on new business, including sourcing potential leads, attending industry events, designing pitches and seeing new client proposals through till the end
- Light admin work that comes from your own clients, i.e. working with our accounting team on invoicing, and our legal team on contracts
- Teaching by example. Training and mentoring junior team members towards their own career goals
You’re a connector
We’re looking for natural storytellers who have a history of working with media. You’ll catch our attention if you have experience working within esports - but being a passionate gamer is also a big plus.
This isn’t your first rodeo
This is a senior role that requires around 5 years of PR or media experience, and you have the journalist connections and strategic know-how to prove it. You’ve worked consistently with media during your career and are equally at home developing a 12-month communications plan and presenting it to clients.
You want to go beyond the traditional media relations churn.
Esports isn’t the place for ‘throw as much spaghetti at the wall as you can’ pitching. We’re looking for pros who will build a relationship with media and understand when they’re the best channel to achieve the goal - not just seek out column inches at any cost.
You have a passion for or are willing to become interested in esports.
Whether you’re a communications pro looking for a switch, or an esports veteran with passion for PR and storytelling, we’d be excited to talk to you. In turn, you must be excited to get your hands dirty, sit front row at some badass esports events, and immerse yourself in our world completely.
You are independent
We work from three different countries and across even more timezones. We need someone who is based in London, but we don’t require you to be here 24/7. You want to spend winters in South East Asia? We love that. As long as you meet your deadlines and do excellent work, we want you to be fulfilled in work and in life.
- Competitive salary, fitting your experience and skill set with bi-annual checks and reviews
- Personal development budget
- The right hardware that works the way you prefer
- Unlimited PTO for a sane and balanced approach to work and life
- Collaborative approach to building teams that support you and the kind of work you want to go after
- Mentorship and support from some of the most experienced minds in the space and the opportunity to work on leading brands in gaming