Senior Technical Narrative Designer
The Coalition is a team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for Gears of War. Located in Vancouver, Canada, the studio is dedicated to pushing the Gears franchise to new heights with its belief that if you want to go far, go together.
We are looking for a seasoned technical designer who can help us bring The Coalition’s next stories to life. The Senior Technical Narrative Designer is a key contributor to the execution of a game story and development of narrative systems in campaign and multiplayer modes. Reporting to the Franchise Narrative Director, the Senior Technical Narrative Designer must collaborate closely with other designers, developers, and artists across the studio to help ensure seamless integration of story and gameplay.
- Collaborate with Narrative leadership to design and document interactive narrative systems to achieve the projects’ storytelling goals in both Campaign and Multiplayer modes.
- Be the resident expert on the Narrative pipeline and toolset, championing implementation standards and content metrics.
- Collaborate with game designers and engineers to execute on narrative goals through gameplay systems and mission design.
- Implement narrative content in engine according to project standards, including Live Ops.
- Provide feedback and guidance on how to best integrate narrative content (speech, text) in the systems.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the video game industry or in other relevant interactive media.
- At least one shipped title in a technical design role (such as narrative, mission design, level design).
- Experience with a major game engine and a firm knowledge of visual scripting.
- Proven success at championing technical pipelines from concept through completion.
- Proven ability to identify systemic solutions to implementation challenges and realize those solutions in-engine.
- Experience with rapid prototyping to test the feasibility of new gameplay features and tools.
- In-depth knowledge of industry trends in interactive storytelling, with a genuine interest in creatively advancing the medium.
- Strong communicator: able to express complex systems to both experts and non-experts. Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Experience writing documentation for tools and gameplay systems.
- Experience with speech, audio, and/or localization pipelines.
- Unreal/Blueprint experience.
- Experience with co-op and multiplayer games.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.