Lead Level Artist - Gears of War
The Coalition is a growing team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for Gears of War. Located in Vancouver, Canada, the studio is dedicated to pushing the Gears franchise to new heights with its belief that if you want to go far, go together.
At The Coalition we are seeking an inspiring, highly motivated Lead Level Artist. In this position you will be expected to partner with the Art Director(s) and other disciplines to help define the level art quality bar and lead a team of talented level artists to bring this vision to reality. We are looking for a candidate that has a proven track record of delivering visually stunning, high quality levels and leading a team of talented artists by helping support them and nurturing an environment where they can thrive.
- Set an example for the team by upholding the values of The Coalition Art Team in building a creative, positive & inclusive culture for the level art team.
- Produce high quality artwork to help establish a quality bar and direction for other level artists to follow.
- Partner with the Art Director, conduct reviews and provide regular feedback in line with the vision set out by art direction, maintaining quality and consistency.
- Partner with the Production Team to provide estimates, proactively manage risks and assign tasks, ensuring work is completed on time at a high level of quality.
- Using a positive style of communication connecting with other leads and looking out for dependencies, blockers and cross department challenges actively working together to provide creative solutions to resolve them.
- A portfolio with examples of high-quality environment & level artwork.
- 6-8+ years of environment/level art experience and an extensive knowledge of game development with previous leadership experience or a senior artist that is ready for the next step.
- Self-motivated, directed with strong time management skills that enable you to work well with deadlines.
- A strong visual and technical understanding of level creation methods using Unreal Engine or other game engines relating to composition, materials, lighting, technical constraints and level design fundamentals.
- Strong working knowledge of Maya (preferred) or similar 3D modeling software, Substance, Photoshop and Z-brush.
- Knowledge or experience working with and developing tools and procedural systems for level art creation and experience working with terrain generation software is a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away