(Closed) Support Engineer
The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Chinese Room is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ The Chinese Room
The Chinese Room are working on a variety of exciting games which present a unique set of IT issues and challenges. In this role you be expected to work closely with the development team to ensure their workflow is optimal and assist in the day-to-day running of the studio.
In your new role you will:
- Be the primary point of contact for the studio IT issues and support agreed service levels, standards and processes from the centralized helpdesk.
- Provide desktop, laptop, mobile, server and storage support.
- Setup and configure new authorised end-user devices. Install authorized software in the devices.
- Process service requests and keep users informed about their incidents' status at agreed intervals.
- Escalate issues which are beyond the employees' capabilities or resource capacity to senior resources in an effective manner to optimize the quality of service provided.
- Identify and take part in initiatives to improve the quality of the technological service.
- Register and classify received incidents and undertake an immediate effort to restore a failed IT service as quickly as possible. If no ad-hoc solution can be achieved, transfer the Incident to the team leader.
- Manage device backups, diagnose and resolve technical issues when required.
- Undertake small to medium-sized IT projects as instructed by the team leader.
- Ensure security and upgrades are applied to authorised end-user devices and kept up to date.
- Install antivirus to all authorised end-user devices. Fault finding to authorised end-user devices when required.
- Document and maintain all logs for equipment and users. Update the CI and asset management platform when required.
- Ensure licensing for all software purchased is recorded and maintained in the asset management platform.
- Prepare documents, meeting materials and correspondence and provide training to end-users as required.
- Provide the best end-user experience and outstanding support to all internal and external end-users.
- Tackle any other additional responsibilities as requested by senior management.
Our titles include the ground-breaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) and the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a PlayStation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world. This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
We bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games to a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. Being part of the Sumo team enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. Our most recently announced game, Little Orpheus, is an Apple Arcade exclusive and we’re working on other unannounced ‘AAA’ titles that will further establish our award-winning style and reputation.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
The Chinese Room is located in Brighton in the south of England, home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene and a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is in the city centre, near the beach, and close to the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is only half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.