Senior Technical Artist
The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Chinese Room is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ The Chinese Room
We have an extraordinary opportunity for an experienced Senior Technical Artist to join the team here at The Chinese Room.
You will be a core pillar of the art team and help determine the final look and feel of our stunning environments. The ideal candidate will have a strong drive to achieve the agreed vision and is well versed in working as part of team of experienced artists.
Within this role you will:
- Work closely with Art Leads to deliver artistic vision within the project requirements
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify & solve problems before they affect the development team
- Implement new techniques that increase the quality and efficiency of the art created
- Help optimise content from the art team to make sure content runs on a wide range of platforms
- Collaborate effectively with both the art and programming teams
- Testing new tools before deployment into production
- Document and knowledge share
- Regularly communicate technical constraints and their reasons to the art team
To be successful you will need to have:
- Must have a minimum of 5 years production working within the games industry
- Proven track record in at least 2 shipped titles (preferably AAA)
- Experience of production level shader work and optimisation within Unreal Engine 4.
- Strong understanding of the creation of shaders within Unreal Engine 4.
- Be highly experienced with blueprints and their implementation.
- High levels of aesthetic attention to detail.
- Familiarity working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Experience with other programs such as Substance Painter / Designer. Zbrush etc
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Coaching skills
- Self-motivated and agile
It would beneficial if you have:
- Experience using 3dsMax as a Technical Artist. Maxscript programming would be viewed positively
- Experience in other scripting and programming languages
- Experience using Houdini
- Experience with data management
- Positive influence and leadership skills
Our titles include the ground-breaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) and the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a PlayStation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world. This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
We bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games to a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. Being part of the Sumo team enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. Our most recently announced game, Little Orpheus, is an Apple Arcade exclusive and we’re working on other unannounced ‘AAA’ titles that will further establish our award-winning style and reputation.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
The Chinese Room is located in Brighton in the south of England, home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene and a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is in the city centre, near the beach, and close to the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is only half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.