The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon. If this sounds like a place where you’d like to make games, then we’d love to hear from you.
The role @ Sumo
The Chinese Room are looking for a talented Concept Artist who will be responsible for creating and iterating on ideas, through hands-on creation of concept pieces, to drive the direction of a project or concept presentation whilst maintaining and championing the artistic vision of the Studio Directors alongside the Senior Concept Artists.
It is essential to the position that the candidate is capable of stylistic diversity with the ability to rapidly generate ideas.
Within this role you will:
- Work alongside Senior Concept Artists creating and iterating on ideas whilst maintaining the artistic vision of the Project Art Director.
- Ensuring that work is delivered to spec and on time and working with production to create timings and briefs for internal and external teams.
- Work to specific briefs to provide the 3D artists with enough conceptual work to inform their work.
We need you to have:
- The ability to work in multiple artistic styles
- Fast concept and iteration of ideas across all aspects of the brief
- High levels of aesthetic ability, judgement and eye for detail
- Good composition, lighting and colour theory skills and appreciation
- Demonstrable talent across all concept disciplines in particular figurative, environment and object work.
- Good communication skills
- Self-initiating, confident approach to their work;
- Keen understanding of cultural influences beyond games, movies, books, TV, comics etc.
- Strong knowledge of Photoshop
- Highly passionate and self-motivated
- The ability to work with various styles of art on multiple projects
- Good verbal, visual and written communication skills
- Experience with 3D packages
Our titles include the ground-breaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) and the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a PlayStation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world. This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
We bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games to a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. Being part of the Sumo team enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. Our most recently announced game, Little Orpheus, is an Apple Arcade exclusive and we’re working on other unannounced ‘AAA’ titles that will further establish our award-winning style and reputation.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
The Chinese Room is located in Brighton in the south of England, home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene and a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is directly opposite a gorgeous park and we’re only a short hop from the city centre, the beach, and the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is only half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.