On the back of Team 17's recent successes, we are looking to hire a Technical Designer join us as a technical specialist within unique perspective within design team; responsible for both liaising with the programming department on behalf of the Design team, as well as working in the game engine themselves to implement and prototype the best game content possible.
- Implementing, assisting with, or prototyping game content, logic, mechanics and systems
- Work alongside the Programming team to advise on final implementations of their designed content, systems and mechanics.
- Working proactively with the other members of the team, including the Producer, Lead Designer, and Creative Director to ensure that the design-related goals of the project are met in a timely manner
- Ensuring a high quality of work on their assigned project, primarily from a game design point of view, with a technical eye but also sometimes including UI/UX work
- Working with third party developers on the Team17 games label to ensure an appropriate level of support in assisting with the development of those games in design related tasks, and maintaining a high level of quality
- The communication and championing of game content, concept and vision to artists, programmers, producers, marketing staff and all others involved in the development process
- Presenting Team17 developed software to third parties, such as platform holders, press, or other development partners, either on Team17 premises, at the offices of platform holders, or at trade shows
- Forming new ideas to contribute to both titles that are in development, and as the basis for ideas for wholly new games and IP
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate must be able to describe their vision for a game (or elements of a game) to designers, artists, programmers, producers, marketing staff, and others involved in the development process. A technical game designer specialises in the implementation of game logic, systems and mechanics, and this role will also require strong technical skills with industry standard tools such as the Unity or Unreal Engines. Showing passion for the technology allows a Technical Designer to create engaging experiences for the people that play, and as such you should enjoy keeping up to date with the latest technology, trends and techniques. Above all else, you should be passionate about games and the games industry, actively playing and enjoying games. Key skills you should be able to demonstrate are:
- Strong communication skills and be able to work within a team.
- Both written and verbal presentational skills
- A deep understanding of either the Unity or Unreal engines (preferably Unreal) Experience of developing and implementing gameplay mechanics
- Experience of development using C# and/or blueprint, or equivalent Information design and user interface design skills
- The ability to work with people and accept feedback and criticism, utilising good interpersonal skills Imagination and creativity
- An energetic and flexible approach to work
- Good time management skills, working to deadlines but with a high level of attention to detail and commitment to delivering quality work
- At least one year experience, preferably in a technical role
- At least one prior shipped title