Programmers are at the very core of game development at Team 17. As a Senior Programmer you will be a key member of the project team, ensuring that game systems work together as a whole to help in producing first-class quality games to our players around the world.
- Proactively liaising with other departments at Team17 (design, art, production, audio) from inception to completion to produce a game of first class quality.
- Proactively assessing project Games Design Documents for Technical Risks and producing appropriate documentation providing mitigation plans
- Taking responsibility for high level game system development, ensuring that systems work together as a whole and match the high level game architecture as laid out by the Lead Programmer/Head of Programming Accurately assessing task timings / complexity to produce an accurate project schedule for the game.
- Leading a team of programmers to produce a game from requirements set out in a Game Design Document.
- Mentoring and coaching team members to assist them in their professional growth by identifying and providing any necessary training.
- Fostering a positive culture of continual improvement and development within the team.
- Assessing delays to work and the effects on OTIF
- Proactively assessing project bug databases for high risk issues and fix patterns, work with programmers assigned bugs to ensure they are correctly fixed and tested.
- Planning, writing, debugging and maintaining computer code, often in, but not limited to, C/C++.
- Writing code in a human-readable style, using descriptive and accurate class, function and variable names, and comments where necessary.
- Carrying out other technical aspects of a project (for example running and maintaining build processes, setting up installers, providing technical information).
- Carrying out assigned tasks within the time scheduled for them as agreed with your Lead Programmer / Producer.
- Clearly and accurately communicating progress on, and problems with, your assigned tasks, and the project in general, to the project producer.
- Ensuring that your work integrates well with the work of other team members, and functions correctly as a part of the whole project.
- Researching and staying up to date with latest coding practices, technological innovation and developmental trends within the industry.
- Contributing to the continuous development of Team17’s internal technology.
- Working with the Head of Programming to review CV’s, perform interviews and ensure the quality of potential employees matches our technical and company requirements.
Standards of Performance
- Proactively leading a game / project at any stage of development.
- Proactively assessing risks and problems and providing solutions for their mitigation.
- Working with production to produce accurate and efficient schedules.
- Working with production to ensure delivery of projects to OTIF
- Communicating progress accurately and concisely to production and Head of Programming
- Successfully mentoring other programmers.
- Producing good quality code as an example to less senior programmers.
- Taking an active interest in tasks assigned to programmers within assigned teams, ensuring smooth and error free development process.
- Taking responsibility for the quality of the content required for Team 17, including but not limited to iterative play testing, reporting problems and addressing any quality shortfalls as requested.
- Excellent communication skills, being able to deliver details of technical problems in a concise and easy to understand manner.
- Excellent leadership abilities, being able to lead a team from initial concept of a game through to completion.
- Having the ability to guide other programmers to solve technical problems
- Having an excellent working knowledge of programming language(s), particularly C/C++.