We are looking for a talented and experienced Lead Programmer to manage a team of seasoned programmers for a brand new IP published by Square Enix. It is a multiplayer, third-person game with a contemporary setting. We are a technology focused company with an experienced programming team and an advanced proprietary game engine.
A successful candidate will be a skilled and motivated lead programmer with experience managing large programming teams on complex multi-year projects for the latest generation of consoles. You should be an expert in many programming subfields such as game systems, animation, AI, physics, or graphics and able to provide concise, logical direction to programmers to create a bug-free multiplayer game in a proprietary 3D game engine.
Candidates local to Ontario, Canada are preferred, but this is not a requirement.
NOTE: For the foreseeable future, all positions at Tactic Studios will be performed remotely, working from home. We are flexible to accommodate the unique needs you may have to ensure a productive, healthy work environment under the present circumstances.
- Manage a team of programmers, assigning tasks, reviewing code, and providing clear, well-considered direction to meet the needs of a complex project.
- Work with the technical director to oversee and implement high level architecture decisions to meet the long term goals of our proprietary game engine.
- Research academic papers to stay informed on latest technology trends to advance our engine for future projects.
- Design, implement, and maintain clear, concise, bug-free, multiplayer code to meet design requirements.
- Debug, optimize, or modify code to adhere to quality, readability, and reliability standards.
- Review, playtest, and verify code to ensure correctness, robustness and fun factor.
- Collaborate with designers and artists to understand and implement engine and game systems that are functional, easy to use, and support the vision of the game.
- Coordinate with external partners as needed to represent the company from a technical standpoint.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 5 years of game development experience with at least 1 shipped AAA title in a lead role.
- Expert proficiency with C++ and Java.
- Expertise architecting robust, well-written, and efficient solutions to complex technical problems.
- Knowledge of multiple game programming subfields, with expertise in at least one subfield.
- Experience writing and debugging code inside a proprietary or commercial C++ 3D game engine such as Unreal Engine.
- Experience writing multiplayer code.
- Deep knowledge of a wide range of video game genres and a technical understanding of how game systems are implemented.
- Motivated self-starter with exceptional technical ability and exceptional communication skills.
- Passionate about developing high quality video games.
- Experience with modeling, animation, or rigging using 3DS Max or Maya.
- Experience creating real-time visual effects and particle systems.
How to Apply
You will need to provide:
- Resume detailing your experience. (required)
- Cover letter. (preferred)
- References. (preferred)