People make games great. Here at Survios, we know we can’t grow from an acclaimed VR studio to the world’s premier game developer and publisher without them. That’s why our most valuable investments aren’t in the next-generation technology we use to make our games or the swanky new HQ we’re building in Marina Del Rey, but in creating a hybrid workplace that seeks out talent across the globe, nurtures its people, and encourages fun. A workplace where every team member knows they’re respected and cared for. If you want to join a passionate team of developers driving toward the future of immersive gaming, we’d love to hear from you! Survios currently has an opening for a talented Narrative Director to join our amazing Narrative Design team!
As a Narrative Director, you will report to the Head of the Studio and be vital in defining and executing the game’s narrative strategy. You’ll champion the narrative vision among other core teams and work with your talented team of Narrative Designers to bring it to life.
You let your team’s ideas shape the direction you set and then drive it forward throughout production. Even when changes to gameplay (inevitably) come your way, you focus on supporting the narrative and motivating your team to do the same. Thanks to your expertise and storytelling ability, you can step in to write content when needed and provide editorial and career feedback to grow the narrative team’s ability to deliver an engaging experience for players to discover.
- Establish, communicate, and champion the narrative direction for the game both internally and externally.
- Build a robust understanding of our game world, characters, and lore, serving as a key resource for others on the team.
- Ensure the alignment with the creative vision when developing the main characters and vital narrative elements with the writers, from the conception phase to the release of the game.
- Guide the ideation process to develop storylines, characters, and narrative systems.
- Collaborate with the different teams (level designers, game designers, artists, animators, audio designers, etc.) to ensure that all the narrative elements are correctly integrated.
- Lead the narrative strategy and ensure its constant communication to the development team and the project’s stakeholders.
- Participate in defining the mission structure of the game.
- Unify narrative goals with gameplay goals and structure.
- Be the primary external voice for the game's story with our leadership team and key partners.
- Lead the development and presentation of the main characters along with their casting, voice recording, and mocap sessions.
- Provide guidelines with regards to the development of specific narrative/scripted event features and assets.
- Ensure the quality of the script, scene-breakdowns, and final edits of the scenes and cinematics.
- Contribute to the blueprint and design process that ensures the narrative scenes and cinematics cohesively integrate into the gameplay.
- Participate in defining the themes and tones that support the game’s creative vision.
- Support and encourage a mindset of diversity and inclusion in the workplace and the content we create.
- Leadership, Creativity, and Open-mindedness.
- Outstanding & constant communication.
- 8+ years of writing or narrative design experience in the video game industry.
- Experience as a narrative director or lead writer on a AA or AAA game.
- Experience coaching a team of writers or designers.
- Experience managing quality, consistency, and coherency across a team of writers or designers.
- Understand the challenges of creating narrative content for a first-person action experience.
- Bring your expertise and passion for the narrative to help shape the team's culture.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional training.
Survios is an award-winning game studio that takes a holistic approach to development, merging our hardware, software, and games expertise to create compellingly immersive game experiences. As we expand our focus from VR-Only to create games across all PC and Console platforms, we’re dedicated to leveraging our passion, expertise, and creativity to develop and publish the next generation of groundbreaking and immersive video games.