People make games great. At Survios, we know we can’t grow from an acclaimed VR studio to the world’s premier game developer and publisher without them. That’s why our most valuable investments aren’t only in the next-generation technology we use to make our games or the swanky new HQ we’re building in Marina Del Rey, but also in creating a hybrid workplace that seeks out talent across the globe, nurtures its people, and encourages fun. A workplace where every team member knows they’re respected and cared for. If you want to join a passionate team of developers driving toward the future of immersive gaming, we’d love to hear from you! Survios currently has an opening for a talented Level Designer to join our amazing design team!
Applicants should be enthusiastic about the opportunity to drive the development of their level by collaborating with developers across various disciplines, working in-engine and participating in creative and technical problem solving. Candidates are expected to be self-motivated and proactive in helping the team identify and address risks and opportunities during level development while also contributing to a transparent, inclusive and pragmatic team work ethic.
- Own and drive the development of Levels; from documentation to finished level in the Unreal 4/5 development framework.
- Work in collaboration with the level artist to ensure that the level is playable and that the graphic elements support each other.
- Collaborate closely with Game Design, Art, Animation, Engineering, VFX, QA and Audio team members to create functional, fun, and compelling levels that achieve unprecedented and immersive gaming experiences.
- Collaborate with other designers and engineers to help build meta-game and AI system.
- Participate in the gameplay conception for the levels.
- Understand the narrative ambition of each game level.
- Understand and implement the desired gameplay in the levels, based on needs from the Leads and Directors.
- Prototype the environment, establish the layout, script gameplay setups, and suggest ways to use interactive and non-interactive means to create emotion for the player.
- Control the accessibility, understanding, and difficulty of the level.
- Actively participate in design specific discussions and design reviews.
- Fixes design bugs entered into the database by testers.
- Deliver high quality levels while working within a predefined scope.
- 2 to 5 years of experience designing and building levels in the games industry, with a thorough knowledge of game design theory and tools pipelines.
- Worked on at least one complete product cycle as a Level Designer.
- Comfortable working in game editors and understanding engine/game constraints and opportunities.
- Self-motivated team player with excellent communication skills.
- Strong, current portfolio with samples of your work is required for consideration.
- Hands-on experience shipping Unreal Engine titles on PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
- Experience with game engines such as Unity and/or Unreal/UDK.
- Experience developing virtual reality games or simulations.
- Knowledge of Agile Methodology, JIRA, and Perforce.
Survios is an award-winning game studio that takes a holistic approach to development, merging our hardware, software, and games expertise to create unbelievable immersive game experiences. As we expand our focus from VR-Only to create games across all PC and Console platforms, we’re dedicated to leveraging our passion, expertise, and creativity to develop and publish the next generation of groundbreaking and immersive video games.