Technical Lead - Data & Analytics
The SuperAwesome Mission
Our mission is making the internet safer for kids. We’ve pioneered the kidtech sector: technology built specifically for engagement with children, with privacy and responsibility at its very core. Every month SuperAwesome technology powers over 12 billion digital engagements with kids across video, community, advertising and parental consent. We have the biggest kidtech team on the planet, focused on solving the challenges of engagement with the under-16 audience. At the intersection of technology, law, media and policy, working with us gives you a chance to shape what the internet of the future looks like. It’s a unique, challenging and rewarding environment.
Joining the Epic Games family is propelling the kidtech sector to new heights.
We are growing rapidly and we’re hiring a Tech Lead to take our products to the next level of scale.
As a Tech Lead at SuperAwesome your main responsibilities will be three-fold: you’ll be ultimately responsible for the system underpinning your product, you’ll act as a hands-on mentor who can lead teammates by example, and you’ll ensure the technical direction for your team is sound, clear and aligned to the product needs as well as to the overall technology strategy.
You will join the Data & Analytics team. This is a new, internal-facing team that will enable kid-safe analytics for all SuperAwesome products.
Your team will include a mix of Data and Web/Full-Stack engineers, as well as Data Scientists.
You will work closely with your team, Chief Architect, and stakeholders to define the appropriate technical approach, metrics, and timelines.
You will help your engineers and the Chief Architect to make the most informed decisions by breaking down complex tech deliverables into simple and understandable user stories, as well as be leading feasibility studies to enable the next generation of your product.
Together with your fellow Tech Leads and Architects you will play a key role in defining the overarching technical direction of the entire company.
Quality is key for us, so you will ensure all product components are built to an appropriate level of quality for the stage (alpha/beta/production), deliver products using the appropriate level of testing and monitoring, and learn and iterate frequently.
You will champion continuous improvement and always aim to improve the product your team owns, as well as measuring your impact with the appropriate tech, product, or delivery metrics.
Here’s what a typical day as a Tech Lead looks like:
- You’ll work across the full stack depending on where you can drive the highest impact. This includes data engineering, back-end, as well as testing and cloud infrastructure
- You’ll work with your team to design and implement features and services for the data platform your team owns, and make sure the design choices are well documented and explained
- You’ll be a hands-on mentor and drive quality and reliability from the get go, lowering the overall complexity of the system
- You’ll be a master of your platform’s domains and will help break complex goals into simple and iterative deliverables
- You’ll lead system design activities aimed to create clarity, alignment, and ascertain feasibility
- You’ll frequently review system, delivery and quality metrics and drive the right initiatives to improve them, ensuring long-term quality, scalability and maintainability of our systems
- You’ll interview candidates for your and other teams, participating to both code reviews and system design interviews
- You’ll deliver in an agile environment and commit to high-speed iterations, high code quality, and continuous improvement
- You’ll champion devops culture, treat operations with a mission critical mindset, and support the live system in production, including participation in our out-of-hours on-call rota
Our stack is entirely cloud native, and you’ll have the opportunity to work with technologies like AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, Kafka, PostgreSQL, Druid, Redis, ELK, Datadog, Node.js and Typescript
About you as a person:
- You are passionate about building technology capable of making the world a better place and you want to do it at SuperAwesome.
- You are a natural leader and a fantastic engineer, you have your opinions on how software should be built and operated by a team at scale, and you have plenty of stories to tell us about that.
- You are a great listener who can create consensus and incorporate their teammates' input in the overall design of the system.
About your leadership & tech skills:
- It’s not your first gig as Tech Lead, and you have plenty of stories to tell about how you established strong bonds with Engineers, Architects, Product managers and Engineering managers.
- You have experience building and running large scale high-throughput data platforms, and you are comfortable coaching and leading your team to finally build a kid-safe one.
- You champion continuous improvement and you have a keen eye to raise the bar for data quality, security, scalability, and observability of the platform, as well as customer satisfaction.
- DevOps practices are an integral part of your culture, and you want to keep work in an environment where you run what you build.
- We wholeheartedly believe a good engineer can pick up any new technology in a reasonable amount of time and you’ll be given training and help during your onboarding to become fully proficient with our stack. What we expect you to already have is good will, as well as a deep understanding of full-stack software development life-cycle, devops methodologies, testing, and tooling.
In a nutshell, we’re looking for a great Tech Lead, and we’ll do our best to identify the greatness in you ❤️
Want to know more?
Check out our Head of Engineering’s Blog posts and what he says about our team, writing kid-tech code and some pointers to gliding through our interview process.
SuperAwesome wants to ensure that our team, customers and partners are always as safe as possible. As we continue to grow the business over the coming weeks, we are moving to a virtual hiring model for all recruitment. We’re having to make some changes to our usual processes but if you’d like to apply for one of our roles, we’ll be sure to give you a SuperAwesome experience. We’re hiring in all of our offices globally and across almost all teams. So if you’re an amazing Engineer, Account Manager or Sales person and want to make the internet safer for kids, come and talk to us, virtually, of course!