Senior Tools Engineer
We are a company for gamers, by gamers. We believe that truly good and deeply compelling games are timeless and will ultimately prevail over fine-tuned shallow addiction cycles. Our mission is to make deeply engaging and technically outstanding games, while embracing all the opportunities of crazy new platforms, new business models and a games industry in flux.
We are looking for ambitious and highly skilled people who share our passion for making outstanding games. You will need to be ready to take on the challenge of being part of a small but experienced and ambitious team, not be afraid to get your hands dirty, have a can-do attitude and a willingness to go the extra mile. For those up to the challenge, it's going to be a thrilling ride. Read our handbook for more details on who we are and how we work.
SENIOR TOOLS ENGINEER
As a tools engineer, you will design, build, and maintain tools that will make meaningful workflow improvements across a variety of disciplines at Super Evil Megacorp. You'll play a critical role in enabling our artists, designers, producers, and engineers to create SEMC’s next generation of games.
This position is focused on developing high quality development tools for a world-class, cross-platform AAA game engine. You’ll be responsible for building and extending the tools to improve content creation workflows, standardize content data across systems, help create unique feature rich content and be passionate about creating great user experiences in the tools.
- Work with the CTO and tech team to build out major tools like a level editor
- Collaborate with tech artists and developers to design and implement new engine features and pipeline tools
- Discuss workflows and pain points with stakeholders. Identify opportunities for tools to improve productivity, solve problems, and proactively develop inventive solutions.
- 4+ years experience as a game engineer or tools engineer for commercial game development
- Bachelor's degree or higher, in computer science or related field
- Excellent C++ skills
- Excellent Python skills
- Experience writing tools that improve the user experience of the consumer of the tool or that add some obvious value to game development or similar field
- An empathy for artists/designers and the challenges they face when developing content
- Well versed in software engineering principles
- Experience writing UIs with a toolkit such as wxWidgets or QT
- Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of game engine and editor concepts
- An eye for great UI/UX
- An ability to prioritize the highest value tools improvements and features that will speed up development or unlock creativity
- Experienced with designing and building tools in an iterative model
- Familiarity with multiple platforms and/or Maya
- Experience developing in a large codebase; ideally experience designing and implementing a tool from the ground up
- Experience writing rendering features such as lighting, post process, shaders, etc.
- Excellent communication skills with the capability of explaining complex engineering concepts in a relevant way to artists and other non-engineering disciplines
Location: SEMC HQ in San Mateo, or Remote
A resume is required for consideration.