Lead Game Designer
Can you see yourself creating a multiplayer game that connects with players around the world? Want to get on the ground-floor of a beloved brand's new game?
Sunblink is a new game studio located in Boulder, CO founded by three industry veterans who have been making hit games for the last 15 years. Together, we have created and managed some of the highest grossing and most downloaded games of the last decade. We are an intensely creative shop working on two well-funded real-time multiplayer games, one of which is based on original IP (launching Summer 2022) and the other leveraging one of the largest and most beloved entertainment brands in the world (launching Spring 2023). We’re looking for the best folks in the industry who share our passion for creating impactful and fun experiences that players will love for years to come.
As a Lead Game Designer for this unannounced project, you will report to the Game Director, and work directly with them on defining and holding the game’s design vision from an early stage. This game blends collecting, crafting, and exploration with multiplayer elements in a lighthearted and wholesome setting. As a key member of the company and game leadership, you have significant freedom with all design decisions that help shape the product. Initially you’ll be working in a very small team via hands-on prototyping, building game systems and validating that they are fun. After prototyping, you’ll own the game’s design direction, creating documentation, building systems, and driving gameplay vision.
This job is based in Boulder, CO, but we are open to permanently remote candidates.
- Pitch, prototype, develop, balance, and analyze core systems and gameplay
- Drive solutions for gameplay mechanics, game content, and workflow challenges
- Act as a champion of feel, feedback, and intuitive systems for all aspects of the game
- Partner with design leadership in forming and evangelizing the design vision to the rest of the team
- Ensure consistency, authenticity, and harmony across features, systems, and development efforts
- Remain current on industry trends including: new game genres, new game design methods and techniques
- Be an advocate for player experience and create compelling user stories
- Discover solutions conceptually through rapid prototyping
- Collaborate with the other department leads to ensure positive communication and problem solving between disciplines
- Work with production on high-level plans and schedules
- Partner with the CCO to provide feedback and assist in career development for the design team
- A minimum of 5 years' experience as a lead or senior game designer
- Multiple shipped titles in a lead or senior role with a history of successful features
- Demonstrated ability to communicate design vision and to align vision with internal partners and an intended market
- Exceptional ability to conceptualize, pitch, and implement game systems/features using various tools, technology, and visual language
- Ability to direct, collaborate, and speak critically on gameplay systems, art, and content development
- Collaborative and progressive thinker capable of inspiring teams toward a unified goal
- Clear understanding of the creative and game development processes
- Extensive content and systems design experience in and out of engine
- Able to work creatively in a demanding team environment
- Absolute passion for playing and making video games
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience managing, and/or mentoring others
- Deep understanding of systems design, player experience, and emerging industry trends
- Experience with Unity
- Experience with scripting and/or programming
- Ability to create and iterate on a prototype
- Resume which must include:
- A link to your portfolio or Linkedin so that we easily identify examples of your work.
Sunblink Entertainment LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.