Lab42 is a best-in-class cross-platform game developer based in the UK. Our headcount has grown with fantastic, experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from Activision, Codemasters and EA.
We developed the officially licensed photo-realistic, sports/simulation Snooker19 with World Snooker for all major Consoles and PC. That’s in addition to providing a range of development services and special projects to a growing client list which features Paradox, Sega, Codemasters and Curve Digital.
Lab42 is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @Lab42
Lab42 is looking for a UI Artist to come and join the team in Leamington. You will create engaging and functional 2D, including menu screens, HUD, and all additional user interface graphics – with the possibility of some 3D integration.
Within this role you will:
- Create, organise, and maintain game-ready assets.
- Work with Design and Art Direction on the creation and revision of UI concepts and prototype flows - to establish the UI direction.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of User Interfaces using proprietary and middleware UI tools.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure clear communication of essential information to the player.
- Work with UI programmers to ensure correct functionality and visual fidelity.
- Have the ability to work in differing art styles.
- Work with senior artists and production to schedule your tasks.
- Proactive in tracking your own progress against tasks.
- Create and maintain documentation on pipelines and best practice.
- Actively seek out feedback from seniors and leads.
We need you to have:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience of creating UI for games.
- Strong graphic design and illustration skills in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator with an eye for detail.
- Experience creating user interfaces from concept, through prototype, to final.
- Excellent use of typography, composition, colour theory and motion graphics.
- Good understanding of UX design for console and PC.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with Art, Design and Code.
- The ability to implement your work in commonly used game engines.
- Knowledge of or experience designing with accessibility and multiple language support is a bonus.
- After Effects abilities are a bonus.
- Some experience with Max, Maya or equivalent 3D modelling and animation packages is a bonus.
- Animation experience is a bonus.
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus & Annual Salary Reviews
- Electric Car Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday a duvet day and Christmas
- Holiday ‘buy and sell’ scheme
- 5 Paid Learning Days, including 1 volunteer day per year
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses, The Gnomen Workshop, GDC Vault and more
- Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
- Free Life Assurance - 4x Salary
- Free Income Protection Scheme -up to 75%
- Free Dental Insurance
- Supportive Employee Assistance Programme with confidential 24/7/365 helpline & app
- Access remote GP, Mental Health, Physio appointments & medical second opinions
- Additional flexible benefits scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Payroll Giving Scheme
- Game & Book Libraries
- Long service & project completion awards
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Great family events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was formed with just one developer, and we have grown organically over the last five years. Now part of the Sumo Group we’re based in the heart of Royal Leamington Spa; a thriving town with a bustling game-development scene.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the Sumo family, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
We are a small, dedicated bunch with experience, drive, passion and creativity. Lab42 has a flexible working environment that make this a relaxed and friendly place to work. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff we have been able to hire many industry veterans, and we are proud to have one of the lowest rates of staff attrition in game development.
On application, please include your current CV and any relevant portfolio content. You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this role.