Studio Technical Director
Sumo Nottingham develops characterful, accessible and innovative action/adventure and racing games for console and PC. We are part of Sumo Digital Ltd., an independent UK developer working with some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony and Sega.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Nottingham is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
Working to define and develop the technical strategy and direction for the Nottingham studio:
- Working alongside the Studio Director and other Discipline Directors to develop the studio strategy and development practices.
- Establishing technical best practices and development methodologies at the whole studio and at individual project level.
- Communicating with Technical Directors at other Sumo Digital studios to develop and align technical practice where possible.
Contributing to acquiring, developing, and ensuring delivery of projects run at the studio:
- Working with the Studio Director and other discipline directors on project pitches, scoping and costing.
- Supporting project team Lead Programmers in scheduling and scoping.
- Working alongside the code team to drive both quality and efficiency.
- Acting as a sounding board for Lead Programmers with project specific issues.
- Providing hands-on technical support when appropriate.
Building and developing the code team at the studio:
- Working with the Studio Director and other Discipline Directors to define the recruitment strategy for the studio from the code team perspective.
- Working with the recruitment team to identify, attract and hire top talent.
- Gathering and providing effective and constructive feedback to the studio code team, along with solutions for improvement where necessary.
- Providing guidance for staff through their development within the Sumo Career Pathway.
What we’re looking for:
- A solid knowledge of C++
- Proven commercial leadership experience in the gaming industry either as a Technical Director, or a Senior/Lead on a major AAA game.
- Experience working on games for console or PC.
- A consultative approach, working across the whole studio to deliver a variety of projects.
- Exceptional management and communication skills.
- Sound understanding of software development practices.
Who you’ll be working with
You will report to the Nottingham Studio Head and will work alongside the other discipline directors in Art, Design and Production. You will also forge relationships with Technical Directors across all Sumo Digital studios to promote sharing of technologies, learning and technical staff. The Lead Programmers of each game team in the studio will report to you and support you in your work.
Sumo Nottingham is a community of game loving, talented people and we believe that diverse teams make the best games. We welcome applications from everyone.
Where you’ll be working
Our studio is in Nottingham’s Castle Marina, near Nottingham’s picturesque canal route and just fifteen minutes’ walk from the City Centre. The studio is served by excellent bus, tram and cycle links and the railway station is a ten-minute walk away.
Nottingham has lots to see and do, including a huge choice of bars and restaurants, art galleries and numerous cultural events. There are several large parks in and around the city (including Wollaton Park, containing Batman’s house!), and it sits on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District area. It has excellent road and rail links to the North and South of the country, with London less than two hours away by train.
What we’ll do for you
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. We support your personal development through access to training resources and time to work on them. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves, and offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, with emphasis on well being and work/life balance.
Want to know more about Sumo?
Sumo Digital, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and 2019 TIGA Award for Best Independent Studio, continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, Warrington, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.