Senior Technical Sound Designer
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are seeking an experienced, talented Senior Technical Sound Designer to join our growing team and help create incredible games!
You will be using our leading-edge facilities to help implement sound effects in our most exciting projects yet! Working alongside our design, art and code teams you will integrate audio as a central pillar of our games. You will take responsibility for driving quality throughout, with involvement in every aspect of audio development from concepting through to final mix.
We are passionate about all aspects of audio and this is a great opportunity for an experienced Technical Sound Designer who shares that passion and wants to be part of this exciting studio’s future.
Within this role you will:
- Identify new opportunities for audio systems. Optimize and refine current audio pipelines.
- Work closely with audio coders to help specify, create and troubleshoot features and tools.
- Proactively work with the team to design and develop strategies for implementing sound effects to produce high quality results.
- Establish best-practices for technical audio workflows and ensure the application of this across all games
- Mentor Sound Designers and provide technical audio support.
- Be an advocate for audio. Liaise with the Code department and partner with team members across disciplines to find solutions that support the highest quality audio.
- Review regularly and continually identify opportunities to improve audio quality.
- Ensure sound meets technical requirements of the game, including; voice channel limits, memory management and prioritization.
- Work closely with our talented Audio and Code teams to deliver AAA audio for our games
We need you to have experience with:
- 5+ years in a technical sound designer or relevant experience as a sound designer
- Demonstrable sound design skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and managing tasks.
- Authoritative knowledge of Wwise middleware
- Thorough understanding of audio compression technologies and formats.
- Understanding the foundations of dynamic, frequency, and time-based effects as well as audio synthesis.
It would also be great if you have experience with:
- Reaper / ReaScript
- Unreal Engine 4 / Blueprints
- C, C++
- Visual scripting languages such as Max/MSP, Puredata etc.
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.