Senior AI Programmer
With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
We are looking for a Senior AI Programmer to join us on an exciting new multiplayer title. This is a fantastic opportunity to play a pivotal role in directly contributing to the game's "behaviour."
In this highly collaborative role, you will develop AI features and systems from the ground up. You will contribute to the programming team's collective knowledge and help to architect, plan and troubleshoot development, in order to deliver on the high-level vision for the game.
As an AI Programmer working with the project’s Technical Leadership, you will help to create and maintain best practices for the AI systems. In this role, you will champion quality across the project and collaborate with all disciplines in the delivery of an exciting new AAA franchise.
You will join an experienced group of talented developers who share a passion for creating AAA quality games. Your skills and perspective will complement a team built on transparency, trust, and integrity; a team who are not afraid to challenge ourselves in the pursuit of excellence.
Within this role you will:
- Work closely with Code Leadership to plan, estimate, and write high-quality performant AI code
- Work closely with Game and Level Designers, reviewing gameplay feature specifications and provide AI-specific insights where possible
- Prototype and implement impactful and intelligent NPC and Bot gameplay features and systems (path finding, movement, team logic, goal planning, memory, knowledge, crowds, targeting, etc.)
- Design, write and test efficient code that meets and exceeds internal quality criteria
- Contribute to regular code reviews, championing code quality and best practices
We need you to have:
- 3+ years games industry experience
- Excellent working knowledge of C++
- Experienced in developing advanced AI features and systems on at least one published title
- Experience with Behaviour Trees, Knowledge Representation, Pathing & Traversal Algorithms, Animation Blend Trees, etc.
- Understanding of what makes a game feel “smart”
- Be receptive to feedback, evolving Designs and iteration
- Excellent communication skills
You will also need to:
- Think critically and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
- Author technical designs
- Mentor less experienced programmers
- Have a deep interest in the field of game Artificial Intelligence
It would be nice if you have:
- Console programming experience.
- Networking experience
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus & Annual Salary Reviews
- Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday a duvet day and Christmas
- Holiday ‘buy and sell’ scheme
- 5 Paid Learning Days, including 1 volunteer day per year
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses, The Gnomen Workshop, GDC Vault and more
- Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
- Free Life Assurance - 4x Salary
- Free Income Protection Scheme -up to 75%
- Free Dental Insurance
- Supportive Employee Assistance Programme with confidential 24/7/365 helpline & app
- Access remote GP, Mental Health, Physio appointments & medical second opinions
- Additional flexible benefits scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Payroll Giving Scheme
- Game & Book Libraries
- Long service & project completion awards
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Great family events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
- World-class sports facilities
- Iconic theatres and galleries
- Multiple retail and shopping experiences
- Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
- The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.