Founded in early 2019, Sumo Leamington is a member of the award-winning Sumo Digital family. We’re one of Sumo’s nine game development studios located across the UK and India, and our goal is to build and grow an industry-leading team here in Royal Leamington Spa.
Managed by industry veterans with ground-breaking titles under their belts, the studio needs to hire the right colleagues to meet our exciting objectives. Whether you’re an industry veteran or straight out of university, we could have a career-defining role for you. If you want to create great games that people will play for years to come, and be there at the beginning of something we know will be truly special, join our team. We look forward to speaking with you!
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo Leamington, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work: Diversity Award; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Leamington is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
In your new role you will be:
- Working with the Programming team and Production to deliver the highest possible quality products
- Writing high quality code
- Working with designers to implement gameplay and user interface elements to their specifications
- Liaising with Quality Assurance to fix bugs
- Ensuring stability of the development environment for the entire development team
- Adhering to and enforcing Programming practices and Studio tech standards
- Always thinking about how we can be better
To be successful you will need to have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or the equivalent in experience
- 3 years industry experience
- Strong Programming skills, proficiency in C#/C++
- Experience in working with client and backend server technologies would be beneficial
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent debugging and optimisation skills
You will also need to:
- Think critically, and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
- Care about the games we are making and how they can be the best quality possible
- Find and fix complex bugs in any area of the project
- Create and own complex systems from start to finish
- Author technical designs and best practices
- Plan work and meet deadlines designated for team projects
- Mentor less experienced Engineers
As part of the Sumo Digital family, we’re able to offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo (this led to the recently released Snake Pass, so it’s a genuine commitment to allowing staff to pitch ideas upwards to the highest levels).
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.