Principal Graphics Programmer
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Role @ Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is looking for an exceptional Principal Graphics Programmer to help realise the unique aesthetic of an incredibly ambitious, AAA action title.
You will join an established team of talented developers at the inception stage of this ground-breaking new project. Your skills and perspective will complement a team built on transparency, trust, and integrity; a team who are not afraid to challenge themselves in the pursuit of excellence.
As a Principle Graphics Programmer working with the project’s Technical & Art Leadership, you will champion quality across the project and collaborate with all disciplines in the delivery of this exciting new game.
Within this role you will:
- Be responsible for the graphics systems across the game.
- Work closely with Code Leadership to plan, estimate, and write high-quality performant graphic systems.
- Work closely with the Art Team and offer technical guidance an any proposed art content.
- Work with the Art Team to plan and maintain an efficient material hierarchy.
- Investigate bugs or issues in the graphics system when encountered.
- Design, write and test efficient code that meets and exceeds internal quality criteria.
We need you to have:
- A deep knowledge of the graphics pipeline, low-level graphics APIs, shader languages and GPU profiling and optimisation techniques.
- 3+ years games industry experience.
- Excellent working knowledge of C++.
- Have worked as a senior graphics programmer on at least one published Unreal project.
- Be receptive to critical feedback, evolving designs and iteration
- Good inter-discipline communication skills with the ability to explain difficult concepts easily.
You will also need to:
- Think critically and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues.
- Mentor less experienced programmers.
Nice to haves:
- Console programming experience.
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
- 5 Learning Days
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
- Game & Book Libraries
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Big Family Events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance 4x Salary
- Income Protection of 75%
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.