Principal Game Designer (3Cs)
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Sheffield is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
Sumo Sheffield is looking for a talented Principal Designer to guide the character, controls and camera development for an ambitious third-person action title.
In your new role you will:
- Take ownership of the player character mechanics, controls and gameplay camera behaviours
- Work closely with the Lead Gameplay Programmer and Lead Animator to prototype, develop and refine the character mechanics, controls and camera behaviours to deliver industry-leading quality
- Collaborate with other departments to help develop gameplay systems that complement the core character mechanics
- Author and maintain detailed design documentation
- Help to scope and schedule the development of your features
To be successful you will have:
- Experience of designing character mechanics, controls and camera behaviours for a published, AAA, 3rd person action title
- 5+ years industry experience in a game design role
- A collaborative mindset when approaching design and implementation problems.
- A genuine passion for games
It would be an advantage if you also had:
- Programming or visual scripting experience
- Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Experience of designing with accessibility in mind
- An interest in cinematography
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.