PR & Communications Manager
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Role @ Sumo Group
Reporting to the Head of Content and Communications, you will be responsible for creating and implementing a global PR and Communications strategy for Sumo Group and its businesses. You will work with key stakeholders to drive media awareness around the business. You will manage the media relations and push the communications strategy out. You will have an eye for detail and a strong ability to understand the core audiences for content and how to correctly capture the angle of a story.
You will also be responsible for helping to implement our internal communications strategy and drive staff engagement across all parts of the business. In addition, you will help design and deliver a global internal communications programme, using DoJo, our internal platform as the main portal. You will be responsible for supporting leadership communications and helping to drive strategic and cultural change across the Group.
The successful candidate will have a background in PR and communications within the video gaming industry or B2B Tech either in-house, agency side or a mixture of both. You will be a team player, with a creative flair. You will be able to multi-task efficiently, working well under pressure in fast-paced environments. You will bring an enthusiastic and energetic attitude to teams around you.
You’ll be joining a small, high performing and collaborative team, working on both regional and global projects. If this sounds like the right opportunity to further your career, please apply now.
In this role you will:
- First rate writing skills and that you understand how to ensure consistency of brand and messaging across different media and audiences,
- Acting as point of contact and advisor within the business on PR opportunities and initiatives,
- Supporting the business on Group PR initiatives (e.g. full and half year results),
- Drafting press releases, features, interviews and commentary,
- Handling press enquiries,
- Ensuring that the Group’s businesses, colleagues and leadership teams have sight of media coverage and visibility of results achieved through regular reporting,
- Implement an internal communications strategy and plan that measurably enhances employee’s understanding and engagement with the Group’s strategy, goals and narrative,
- Working with the Head of Content and Communications and the Marketing team to identify content creation opportunities across video, thought leadership articles, podcasts etc,
- Support the development of employee engagement digital initiatives that promote the health and wellbeing of our staff, embraces diversity and inclusion whilst utilising new platforms for communicating,
- Working with the digital agency and marketing team to continually evolve and develop website content and messaging,
- Overseeing social media activity, across all Sumo Group and its businesses.
To be succesful you will have:
- 2-4 years’ experience in PR and communications.
- Exceptionally strong writing and communication skills, advanced PowerPoint skills, strong attention to detail.
- Relevant experience in a similar role delivering a programme of internal communications across a range of channels including town halls, internal emails, video and other digital internal platforms.
- The ability to build relationships with a range of key internal stakeholders in a global, matrixed organisation.
- Experience liaising with journalists.
- Experience in managing content / thought leadership, articles.
- Experience managing digital communications eg. internal newsletters, weekly round-ups, web content, social media content etc.
- Experience project managing internal campaigns and communications.
- Support internal, employer branding and marketing initiatives by running creative campaigns and events to boost company-wide engagement.
- Source and produce content that gets our people excited about what’s happening at Sumo Group.
- Own ‘the way’ we communicate by role modelling best practice.
- Experience in video games would be preferred but is not essential.
- A high level of motivation and proactivity, with the ability to identify opportunities for innovation and improvement and have the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative team environment.
- Collaborator who brings other stakeholders on board with ideas.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to own and make decisions with incomplete information.
- Understanding of communications needs whilst scaling globally.
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
- 5 Learning Days
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
- Game & Book Libraries
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Big Family Events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance 4x Salary
- Income Protection of 75%
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.