Lead Technical Designer
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
In this role you will be expected to champion design and system architecture to a high quality. You will be instrumental in supporting our multi-disciplined development teams from concept, prototype and tools chains through to final quality gameplay experiences.
Within this role you will:
- Collaborate with all the different disciplines to uphold and execute the game vision.
- Oversee and guide the creation of technical workflows and production pipelines.
- Assess and validate game features for technical feasibility.
- Act as a technical expert on the team and ensure the tools, documents, technical support and dissemination of best practices.
- Obtain in-depth knowledge of the engine, its capabilities, and auxiliary development tools.
- Uphold good system architecture across the technical design department, including reuse and optimisation.
- Be responsible for guiding and aiding team members careers progression.
- Prototype, review and tweak gameplay, tools, and systems.
We need you to have:
- Shipped multiple commercial titles with at least one AAA game in a key position.
- Excellent technical scripting skills, Ideally in visual and/or text-based scripting.
- Technically proficient with at least 1 modern game engine (e.g., Unreal, Unity or Custom).
- Ability to work cross-discipline and provide constructive and easy-to-understand feedback to any team member.
- Good knowledge of game and level design principles.
It would be great if you also have:
- Experience managing workloads of multiple team members.
- Good Knowledge of programming languages such as C++ and C#.
- Understanding of optimization and technical limitations.
- Knowledge of network replication and limitations.
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
- 5 Learning Days
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
- Game & Book Libraries
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Big Family Events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance 4x Salary
- Income Protection of 75%
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.