Lead Programmer (C++)
Established in 2007, Sumo Video Games is one of India’s leading video game developers. We work hand in hand with Sumo Digital’s UK studios to build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
As a lead programmer at Sumo India you will be responsible for the day to day leadership of a team of engineers and the delivery of completed projects within the time and budgets agreed. You will help determine the architecture and technologies required to deliver projects and be involved in the scheduling and estimation of work. In addition to helping determine the games technology and features, you will provide daily support and mentoring to your engineering team as you help them grow and mature. Throughout this you will be supported in the role by the technical director to whom you will report.
In a typical day you will be required to solve problems ranging from debugging and crash issues, coding standards calls, through to future resource and hiring requirements to meet your schedules for projects. All these responsibilities mean that you will require excellent communication skills, in both explaining requirements to your team, and in communicating risk and resource needs to the game and studio directors. Finally, you must be able to hold yourself and your team to the highest standards delivering a product to the best of your ability and of the highest quality.
As a Lead Programmer you will:
- Understand and direct the work of the coding team.
- Mentor the code team and lead by example.
- Liaise with the team and production to achieve the highest possible quality product.
- Work with project managers and other development leads to define and complete programming tasks.
- Write high quality source code.
- Ensure that the game is compliant with manufacturer's guidelines for the relevant platforms.
- Maintain stability of development environment for the entire development team.
Must have skills:
- Proficiency in C/C++, with proven commercial experience of over 8 years.
- At least 4 years' experience working in the console game industry, having worked on a minimum of 2 shipped games and 1 large scale games project
- Excellent debugging skills
- Practical experience with 3D math
- Experience with asset pipelines, dealing with large scale data set
- Knowledge of source control and asset management tools.
- Experience of management of small-scale teams, including line management.
Useful to have:
- Demonstrable knowledge of 2 or more game development specializations (e.g. AI and networking).
- Good time management and self-motivation skills.
- Ability to take direction and criticism.
- Knowledge of build systems and one or more scripting languages.
What we offer:
Our Studio is unique in India, giving our staff the opportunity to work directly on all leading gaming platforms, at every stage of game development.
Being part of Sumo's Pune studio is a rewarding experience, one that requires dedication, a strong sense of ownership over your work and an overwhelming enthusiasm for the games you work on.
In return we offer competitive salary, flexi-time & benefits, and excellent working environment and most importantly we will give you the room to be yourself and live your passion.
Additionally, we provide relocation reimbursement from other cities, a performance-linked bonus in addition to the fixed salary, opportunities to attend industry conferences and a complete and all-encompassing medical insurance package for our employees and their children.
Come join the team.