Following the incredible success of Sumo Pune, which since its founding in 2007 has grown to over 150 talented team members across a myriad of disciplines, Sumo Digital is opening a new studio in Bangalore to support the development of some of the most exciting video game projects in the world.
Sumo Bangalore is a new studio that will play a key part in the co-development of multiple AAA console titles across Sumo Group. We are looking to hire key specialists across Art and Engineering to join the Sumo India family.
As a Sumo Digital studio, Sumo Bangalore joins an award-winning family of international studios. Previous titles developed by Sumo Digital include the BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
We’d love for you to join us as we continue our journey with the launch of Sumo Bangalore.
As a lead programmer at Sumo Bangalore, you will be responsible for the day to day leadership of a team of engineers and the delivery of completed projects within the time and budgets agreed. You will help determine the architecture and technologies required to deliver projects and be involved in the scheduling and estimation of work. In addition to helping determine the games technology and features, you will provide daily support and mentoring to your engineering team as you help them grow and mature. Throughout this you will be supported in the role by the technical director to whom you will report.
In a typical day you will be required to solve problems ranging from debugging and crash issues, coding standards calls, through to future resource and hiring requirements to meet your schedules for projects. All these responsibilities mean that you will require excellent communication skills, in both explaining requirements to your team, and in communicating risk and resource needs to the game and studio directors. Finally, you must be able to hold yourself and your team to the highest standards delivering a product to the best of your ability and of the highest quality.
As a Lead Programmer, you will:
- Understand and direct the work of the coding team.
- Mentor the code team and lead by example.
- Liaise with the team and production to achieve the highest possible quality product.
- Work with project managers and other development leads to define and complete programming tasks.
- Write high quality source code.
- Ensure that the game is compliant with manufacturer's guidelines for the relevant platforms.
- Maintain stability of development environment for the entire development team.
We need you to have:
- Proficiency in C/C++, with proven commercial experience of over 7 years.
- At least 4 years' experience working in the console game industry, having worked on a minimum of 2 shipped games and 1 large scale games project
- Excellent debugging skills
- Practical experience with 3D math
- Experience with asset pipelines, dealing with large scale data set
- Knowledge of source control and asset management tools.
- Experience of management of small-scale teams, including line management.
It will be useful to have:
- Demonstrable knowledge of 2 or more game development specializations (e.g. AI and networking).
- Good time management and self-motivation skills.
- Ability to take direction and criticism.
- Knowledge of build systems and one or more scripting languages.
What we offer:
- Flexible working hours
- Group Health Insurance Policy – Self, spouse and children covered up to 6 Lacs.
- Term Insurance – 4 times of current CTC
- 21 days of paid holidays with four statutory days,
- Five Learning days each year,
- 4-weeks paternity leave, 6 Months Maternity leave.
- Arrangements for bereavement, adoption and sabbaticals etc.
- Monthly snacks amount top-up to your Sodexo card.
- Competitive bonuses
- Relocation Assistance
- Industry-leading recruitment Referral Scheme
- Special Occasion Celebration & Celebration vouchers
- Timely care packages
- Regular socials including: Movie nights, online watch parties, dinner parties, an invite to the much-loved ‘Sumo Big Day Out’ for you and your family.
- Employee Assistance program
- Gaming Events and activities include team lunch/ team dinner.
- Recognition of service length awards.
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.