We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Role @ Sumo Sheffield
We are looking for a Lead Programmer to join us on an exciting new multiplayer arcade/sports title. This is a fantastic opportunity to play a pivotal role in managing the programming team’s technical direction.
In this highly collaborative & logistics-focused role, you will coordinate the programming team's collective efforts.
You will be responsible for the planning and troubleshooting of development on daily basis in order to deliver on the high-level arcade-fun-feel vision for the game.
As a Lead Programmer, reporting to the project’s Technical Director, you will create and maintain best practices for the game systems. You will champion quality across the project and collaborate with all disciplines in the delivery of an exciting new AAA franchise.
You will join an experienced group of talented developers who share a passion for creating AAA quality games. Your skills, experience and perspective will complement a team built on transparency, trust, and integrity; a team who are not afraid to challenge ourselves in the pursuit of excellence.
Within this role you will:
- Manage daily, a team of game programmers
- Work closely with and support all Discipline Leads (Art, Design, Production) to plan sprint & milestone deliverables.
- Work closely with the Franchise Code Leadership Team to plan, estimate, monitor and evaluate the technical roadmap for the project.
- Communicate technical challenges, risks and dependencies along with possible solutions to all Stakeholders
- Evaluate and provide feedback on the Code deliverables, ensuring quality, performance and timely delivery
- Work closely with Design Stakeholders to review gameplay feature specifications and provide feedback and technical direction
- Prototype gameplay features and systems, when necessary, using in-house engine and technologies
- Design, write and test efficient code that meets and exceeds internal quality criteria
- Contribute to regular code reviews, championing code quality and best practices
We need you to have:
- 5+ years of games industry experience
- 2+ years of experience successfully managing a technical team
- Excellent working knowledge of performant C++
- Excellent communication (technical, written, verbal) skills
- Excellent interpersonal and people management skills. You understand your team as well as you understand the codebase
- Experienced in developing advanced gameplay features and systems on at least one published title
- Strong 3D Math
- Be receptive to feedback, evolving designs, and iteration
You will also need to:
- Be diplomatic and professional
- Think critically and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
- Author technical designs
- Mentor less experienced programmers
Nice to haves:
- Experience working with an Entity Component Systems (ECS) codebase.
- Experience working with cross-team development on shared game technology (engine, systems, tools)
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
- 5 Learning Days
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
- Game & Book Libraries
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Big Family Events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance 4x Salary
- Income Protection of 75%
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.