Lead Narrative Designer
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Sheffield is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a Lead Narrative Designer to help establish a new AAA game franchise. This is a fantastic opportunity to make an impact and play a pivotal role in developing this franchise. Join an exciting, talented, and experienced team that is focussed on working smart.
In this role you are responsible for defining the direction of our narrative strategy across multiple titles. You will work in partnership with the Art and Design Directors to set the narrative tone of our titles whilst leading a narrative team comprised of Writers and Narrative Designers.
In your new role you will:
- Work with the creative leads to define the narrative strategy of our franchise, ensuring solid communication with project stakeholders.
- Take full responsibility for the narrative strategy and ensure the team executes on that vision from inception to release.
- Ensure we develop a consistent narrative voice across multiple titles.
- Collaborate with the Art and Design Directors to define and develop new characters, worlds, and narrative gameplay experiences.
- Work with colleagues to develop and finalise casting and voice recording.
- Write and edit narrative components of the franchise, including but not limited to internal and external documentation, cinematic scripts and in game dialogue.
- Create an emotional and engaging narrative that is respectful of our brand partners which appeals to adults and children alike.
- Manage a tight and focussed team of Writers and Narrative Designers.
- Work with all disciplines to ensure that all narrative components are consistent and integrated correctly.
- Understand the requirements of the franchise vision and adjust plans accordingly when required.
To be successful you will:
- 5 plus years industry experience or 2 or more shipped titles on current gen consoles or PC.
- Previous experience as a Writer, ideally experienced with writing comedic fiction, and/or content that appeals to adults and children alike.
- Writing experience on AAA game content at senior level or above.
- A creative and ambitious mind with confidence to explore new concepts.
- A proven ability to present ideas to a wide variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical in a succinct manner.
- An excellent understanding of past and current game trends; particularly in the sports and action/adventure genres.
- A passion for working cross discipline and be a dedicated team player.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be self-motivated, able to multitask and understand priorities whilst working under limited supervision.
- Inspirational leadership skills.
- A positive uplifting attitude with an open mind, be ethical and a real team player.
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.